For White House’s social office, its all about introducing the Obamas aroundApril 21st, 2009 - 12:26 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr. 21 (ANI): The Obamas are out to make new traditions at the White House, and helping them out this endeavour is their social secretary Desiree Rogers, Valerie Jarrett, a White House senior adviser, and Susan Sher, associate counsel and adviser to US First Lady Michelle Obama.Since President Obama was sworn in on January 20 this year, the social office at the White House has run more than 60 events, with the Easter Egg Roll last week the most recent, a tradition on the South Lawn since 1878.
Rogers accompanied Obama as he made his way through the different events. — from an organic garden on the South Lawn overseen by another Chicagoan: Sam Kass, the assistant White House chef and food initiative coordinator — to bringing in local students on a routine basis so they can be exposed to the magic of a White House visit.
Some, if most of the entertaining is keyed to introducing the Obamas around, with the administration still in its opening act.
“Smaller receptions are a great way to work. Inviting people into your home as you arrive in town,” the Chicago Sun Times quotes Rogers, as saying.First lady Michelle Obama has already hosted two lunches for congressional spouses and a third lunch — coming soon — will include spouses from the Cabinet and “D.C. influentials.”
How these coveted invites are allocated is “an art vs. a science,” Rogers said.Rogers said she seeks input from a wide variety of White House top staff, “anyone internally who is reaching people externally.” That includes Phil Schiliro, who runs legislative affairs; Patrick Gaspard, the political affairs director; Chris Lu, the Cabinet secretary; Cecilia Munoz, intergovernmental affairs chief; Tina Tchen, public liaison director, and Denis McDonough, the deputy national security adviser.
Rogers is a long time friend of the Obamas, and she starts her say with a 9 a.m. meeting with her social office staff.
The next meeting takes place at 9:45 a.m., with the entire first lady’s staff, in all about 20 counting Rogers’ team. The group meets in Mrs. Obama’s office because it is the biggest room in the East Wing — but the first lady is not there. That meeting lasts about 15 or 20 minutes. Rogers is also part of daily meetings with senior personnel from the East and West wings. (ANI)
- U.S. President Obama names Jeremy Bernard as Social Secretary - Feb 26, 2011
- Mrs 'O', how does your garden grow? - Oct 31, 2010
- Obamas brew 'White House Honey Ale' at home - Feb 08, 2011
- Michelle Obama to take 'Let's Move!' anti-obesity drive global - Feb 09, 2011
- Obamas name openly gay man as social secretary - Feb 26, 2011
- Susan Sher to step down as Michelle Obama's top aide - Nov 17, 2010
- Michelle Obama to bring a touch of compassion in India - Nov 03, 2010
- First Lady Rejects 'Angry Black Woman' Image - Jan 13, 2012
- Here's how much 'cool' Obama and his White House staff earn - Jul 03, 2009
- Michelle Obama to write book on White House garden - Mar 17, 2011
- Now a beer brewed exclusively in White House - Mar 08, 2011
- Guess who is going for PM's Obama dinner? - Nov 04, 2010
- Michelle Obama treats first wives to a healthy meal on farm trip - Sep 25, 2010
- Obama's grass widower days over with a birthday bash (Lead) - Aug 09, 2010
- Michelle Obama admits she's a "lover" of french fries - Sep 14, 2010
Tags: associate counsel, cabinet secretary, cecilia munoz, chicago sun times, chicagoan, director chris, easter egg roll, food initiative, gaspard, intergovernmental affairs, legislative affairs, liaison director, long time friend, michelle obama, national security adviser, organic garden, public liaison, routine basis, social secretary, tchen