For the first time in 15 years, most Americans are pro-lifeMay 16th, 2009 - 11:58 am ICT by ANI
Washington, May 16 (ANI): Fifty-one percent of Americans consider themselves “pro-life” and just 42 percent say they are “pro-choice.”
This is the first time a majority in the country has stated a personal objection to abortion since Gallup polls began tracking the data 15 years ago, Fox News reports.
The numbers correspond with FOX News polls this month showing 49 percent of Americans as pro-life and 43 percent as pro-choice on abortion. Last year the numbers were essentially the reverse of the current findings: 41 percent were pro-life and 49 percent were pro-choice in September 2008.
The Gallup poll released Friday also marks a massive shift from one year ago, when 50 percent of Americans called themselves pro-choice, and just 44 percent said they were pro-life. Today 42 percent say they are pro-choice, by far the lowest level of support for abortion ever measured by the Gallup poll.
Despite that change in opinion, most Americans still believe that abortion should remain legal. Fifty-three percent say abortions should remain legal under certain circumstances, and nearly equal numbers take hard-line views — 23 percent say it should be illegal in all circumstances, and 22 percent say it should be legal no matter what.
The sample study of 1,015 adults was conducted from May 7-10 and has a margin of error of three points. (ANI)
- Virginia Governor signs pre-abortion ultrasound bill - Mar 08, 2012
- US gun ownership highest since 1993: Report - Oct 27, 2011
- Over five in ten Americans still view George W. Bush as unpopular: USA Today/Gallup Poll - Nov 11, 2010
- Missouri passes bill restricting late term abortion - Apr 08, 2011
- Analysts feel that Mississippi personhood law goes too far - Nov 09, 2011
- 51 percent of 2012 Republican primary voters believe Obama born outside US: Poll - Feb 17, 2011
- Abortion still taboo in Pakistan - Jan 16, 2012
- More Americans want a new president than Obama to be re-elected: Fox News poll - Apr 08, 2011
- Majority Americans approve Obama's same-sex marriage decision - May 12, 2012
- More than half of Americans consider China as world's leading economic power. - Feb 15, 2011
- Nearly five in ten American voters want Obama to run for president again - Oct 27, 2010
- Director of 'Planned Parenthood' Abby Johnson resigns - Nov 04, 2009
- Apple denies claims Siri is anti-abortion - Dec 03, 2011
- Palin chooses anti-abortion fundraiser over White House Correspondents' Dinner - May 02, 2011
- US approves five-day emergency contraceptive - Aug 14, 2010