For Brazil’s Fluminense, no cup and no moneyJuly 5th, 2008 - 11:12 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, July 5 (Xinhua) Brazilian football club Fluminense, which lost the Libertadores Cup final to Ecuadors LDU, received another hard blow as the club’s share of the final match revenues, which amounts to 2.8 million reais ($1.75 million), was pledged to pay a debt with former player Branco, local reports said. Branco, who is the Fluminense’s football manager, was suing the club since 1994 over a wage debt from when he was playing in the country’s national team. At the time, Brazil’s Football Confederation (CBF) paid three months of Branco’s salary to Fluminense, but the club did not pay the athlete.
“I can comment on this matter with tranquility. It is of common knowledge that I have had a court dispute with Fluminense since 1994. I am surprised, though, to learn that I will receive the match’s revenue,” Branco said.
He also stressed that the he was not to be pictured as a villain for the pledging of the club’s income, as it was a court decision over a matter in which he was the wronged part.
“I want to make clear that I am not the villain in this story, on the contrary. The money I want to receive came from CBF, which paid my wage to Fluminense in 1994, and the club did not pay me.”
“This is called embezzlement, and I am completely right in this matter,” he added.
- Fluminense fans celebrate historic win over Boca Juniors - Mar 08, 2012
- Stoppage-time header from gives Fluminense victory - Apr 19, 2012
- Deco prefers Libertadores to Champions League medals - Apr 19, 2012
- Fluminense beat Zamora to top Group D - Mar 30, 2012
- Brazilian football clubs' debt now $1.85 billion - May 23, 2012
- Ceni upstages Pele as Brazil's greatest - Aug 29, 2012
- Fluminense to be without former Lyon striker Fred - Apr 17, 2012
- Fans want Ronaldinho out of Flamengo - Apr 07, 2012
- Boca in bid to convince Riquelme to stay - Jul 06, 2012
- Brazil winger Lucas helps Sao Paulo win 3-0 - Aug 19, 2012
- Basile is Club de Avellaneda boss for 4th time - Dec 27, 2011
- Fluminense playmaker Neves out for two months - May 31, 2012
- Fluminense midfielder Deco worried about Brazilian football - May 01, 2012
- Ronaldinho out of Brazil squad - May 12, 2012
- Ronaldinho threatens strike due to delayed payment - Jan 12, 2012
Tags: athlete, brazilian football, cbf, common knowledge, contrary, court decision, embezzlement, final match, football club, football confederation, football manager, ldu, libertadores cup, rio de janeiro, salary, three months, time brazil, tranquility, villain, xinhua