Footballer shot dead in MexicoMay 8th, 2010 - 6:11 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, May 8 (DPA) A 21-year-old footballer who was active in the second category of Mexican football was shot dead in an apparent hold-up in southern Mexico City, his club said.
Ademir Meza played for Pumas Morelos, the second team of Mexican football giants Pumas de la UNAM. He was shot dead late Thursday inside his car, on a Mexico City avenue.
Police said the defender had resisted an attempt by two people travelling in another vehicle to rob him.
The city’s Justice Ministry said Meza and a passenger had been followed by another vehicle, possibly a taxi, that tried to block their way in the Pedregal de Santo Domingo neighbourhood.
The authorities said one of the attackers had a firearm and shot the player. The paramedics deployed to deal with the emergency could not save Meza’s life. The person who was travelling with him was unhurt.
This is the second case of a shooting involving a football player in Mexico City this year.
Top striker Salvador Cabanas, a pillar of the America team in Mexico and of the Paraguay national team, was shot in the head at a bar in January. Cabanas was seriously injured but survived and is currently recovering in Argentina, although the bullet remains lodged in his head and his return to professional football is uncertain.
- Former Paraguay striker Cabanas returns to football - Apr 16, 2012
- Paraguay striker to play with bullet lodged in skull - Jun 08, 2012
- Soccer star wounded in shooting vows to come back - Aug 10, 2011
- Suspect arrested in shooting of Paraguayan soccer star - Jan 20, 2011
- Cardozo still doubtful, Santa Cruz recovers for Paraguay - Jun 11, 2010
- Mexican footballers in trouble for mock gunplay - Oct 18, 2011
- Mexican interior minister killed in helicopter crash - Nov 12, 2011
- Shocked Paraguay will look to recover - May 31, 2010
- Stuttering champions Italy face tough opener - Jun 13, 2010
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez turns 85 - Mar 07, 2012
- Mexican poet wins human rights prize - Apr 23, 2012
- Carlos Slim's firm to acquire US company - May 11, 2012
- Mexican league offers to cooperate in money laundering probe - Aug 21, 2012
- Abducted Mexican politician released after seven months - Dec 21, 2010
- Mexican novelist Carlos Fuentes dies at 83 - May 16, 2012
Tags: argentina, attackers, authorities, football player, giants, justice ministry, mexico city, mexico mexico, neighbourhood, paramedics, pedregal, pillar, professional football, pumas de la unam, pumas morelos, salvador cabanas, santo domingo, southern mexico, taxi