Footballer accused of running cocaine smuggling ringJanuary 23rd, 2011 - 9:12 pm ICT by IANS
Auckland, Jan 23 (IANS) A footballer has been charged with running an international cocaine smuggling ring which was recently busted here in New Zealand, police said. The 27-year-old Kindness Agwu, a semi-professional footballer, has played for Metro FC and Mangere United. He is one of the nine people facing charges in connection with the multimillion-dollar operation, New Zealand Herald reported Sunday.
Another of the defendants, a personal trainer at an Auckland gym, was granted interim name suppression Saturday after his lawyer, Barry Hart, secured a Saturday morning court hearing, following an approach for comment from the Herald on Sunday late Friday.
Head of the Auckland drug squad Detective Senior Sergeant Chris Cahill alleged the trainer was a “go-between” who let the gym, where he worked, be used for drug deals.
Police allege Agwu arranged for parcels of cocaine to be sent from Argentina.
They also allege that the New Zealander John Tipene picked up the parcels and, along with girlfriend Lucy Mason, arranged for distribution.
Five of their relatives have also been charged.
Agwu was arrested in September and is also charged with importing and supplying methamphetamine and money laundering.
The group has been charged with importing three kg of cocaine into New Zealand between Nov 9, 2009 and Feb 10, 2010.
The haul represents about 20 per cent of the cocaine imported into New Zealand in the past nine months.
- Asian school students being used by drug peddlers in New Zealand - Oct 22, 2009
- New Zealand busts Asian drug-money laundering gang - Jul 22, 2010
- Indian-origin Auckland man found guilty for policeman's murder - Mar 14, 2011
- Husband of burnt Auckland Indian woman was son of Hindu priest - Jan 26, 2011
- Indians lose in New Zealand local body election - Oct 09, 2010
- England defender Cahill out of Euro 2012 - Jun 04, 2012
- Alert boy helps in recovery of abducted woman - Jan 23, 2011
- Robben's brace gives Holland 3-2 win over England - Mar 01, 2012
- Cocaine case: Fardeen charged with lighter offence - Oct 04, 2011
- Four tonnes of drugs destroyed in China - Jun 03, 2012
- Lance Armstrong's New Zealand holiday - Jan 30, 2011
- Dissatisfied with fitness regime? Try a personal trainer - Oct 03, 2011
- New York Senator, Charles Schumer, Voices The Need To Ban The Drugs Vended Discreetly As 'Bath Salts' - Jan 31, 2011
- Swimsuit model held for heading global drug ring - Mar 18, 2012
- England announce 23-man squad for Euro Championship - May 16, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,