Fly named after BeyonceJanuary 13th, 2012 - 8:12 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 13 (IANS) Australian researchers have named a rare fly after singer Beyonce in honour of its golden behind, a media report said.
The Scaptia (Plinthina) beyonceae fly — found in Queensland and widely considered a pest — has been named in recognition of the unusual gold patch.
The fly was first collected in 1981 — the year of the singer’s birth, the Daily Telegraph reported.
Bryan Lessard from Australia’s science agency CSIRO said the insect’s behind made it the “all-time diva of flies”.
“It was the unique dense golden hairs on the fly’s abdomen that led me to name this fly in honour of the performer Beyonce as well as giving me the chance to demonstrate the fun side of taxonomy — the naming of species,” he was quoted as saying.
The name complies with the rules set by the International Commission of Zoological Nomenclature, which allows species to receive names honouring people.
Other species named in honour of celebrities include a frog, Hyla stingi, named after singer Sting and a spider, Pachygnatha zappa, named after Frank Zappa.
A paper describing the fly has been published in the Australian Journal of Entomology.
- House fly, mosquito share common ancestry - Mar 24, 2011
- Croaks help frogs locate mates with matching DNA - Dec 28, 2011
- New frog species found in New York - Mar 18, 2012
- Beyonce now subject of university course - Jan 28, 2012
- America Bids Farewell To Captain Beefheart Via Twitter - Dec 18, 2010
- GM crops no longer safe from pests - Jun 21, 2012
- Search on for 'lost amphibians' before they go extinct - Aug 09, 2010
- Zoologists discover new frog species in Mizoram - Mar 25, 2010
- Beyonce to be honored with the Billboard millennium award - May 10, 2011
- Beyonce named most beautiful woman - Apr 26, 2012
- A unique story of parallel evolution in moths unraveled - Sep 02, 2009
- World's smallest frogs discovered in New Guinea - Dec 13, 2011
- Warmer waters prime fish species for more sperm - Apr 11, 2012
- Using 'super sexed' male insects to control pest population - Jun 07, 2010
- Over 200 fish species get Malayalam names - Sep 30, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,