Fluminense massacre Arsenal 6-0 in Libertadores Cup footballMarch 6th, 2008 - 2:48 pm ICT by admin
Rio de Janeiro, March 6 (Xinhua) With an outstanding performance, Brazil’s Fluminense registered their first victory in 37 years in the Libertadores Cup, beating Argentina’s Arsenal de Sarandi 6-0. In the first half Wednesday, Fluminense’s striker Dodo threatened the goal in the ninth minute, but goalkeeper Cuenca intercepted the ball. However, four minutes later, the striker suffered a foul, which midfielder Thiago Neves skilfully converted into the host’s first goal.
Dodo scored the second goal, in the 20th minute, on a pass from defender Junior Cesar. The only foul committed by Fluminense in the first half came in the 42nd minute, shortly before Gabriel scored the team’s third, with a little help from Dodo, who dribbled past two opponents before passing the ball to the defender.
In the fifth minute of the second half, Dodo hit the goal again, in another partnership with Neves. It was also high time Fluminense’s another striker Washington scored his own, and the squad’s fifth, in the landslide victory, which was closed in the 40th minute with a goal by midfielder Cicero, who replaced Neves.
- Stoppage-time header from gives Fluminense victory - Apr 19, 2012
- Fluminense captures 2012 Guanabara Cup title - Feb 27, 2012
- Fluminense fans celebrate historic win over Boca Juniors - Mar 08, 2012
- Fluminense beat Zamora to top Group D - Mar 30, 2012
- Fluminense playmaker Neves out for two months - May 31, 2012
- Fluminense striker Fred says he is close to form - Apr 27, 2012
- Defending champion Santos lose in Copa Libertadores - Apr 26, 2012
- Fluminense to be without former Lyon striker Fred - Apr 17, 2012
- Messi scores brace as Barca keep pace with Madrid - Apr 15, 2012
- Neymar double continues Santos revival - Aug 26, 2012
- Former Real Madrid coach leads Gremio into top four - Jun 25, 2012
- Brazil winger Lucas helps Sao Paulo win 3-0 - Aug 19, 2012
- Libertadores Cup: Neymar stars in Santos win over Internacional - Mar 08, 2012
- Juninho leads Vasco da Gama to victory - Apr 01, 2012
- Defending champions Santos lose Libertadores opener - Feb 16, 2012
Tags: 37 years, argentina, arsenal de sarandi, brazil, cicero, cuenca, cup football, dodo, first victory, fluminense, four minutes, high time, landslide victory, libertadores cup, opponents, partnership, rio de janeiro, second half, striker, xinhua