Florida man dies after Taser shock by police at Universal StudiosApril 23rd, 2011 - 5:05 am ICT by BNO News
ORLANDO, FLORIDA (BNO NEWS) — A Florida man died on Friday after being stunned with a Taser gun by police at Universal Studios complex in Orlando.
The Orlando Sentinel reported that 33-year-old Adam Johnson died while in police custody. He was reportedly acting erratically when four off-duty police officers and another officer try to restrain him. Police said Johnson resisted violently.
He was “grabbing his beard, grabbing his head…he was being disorderly,” police spokeswoman Sgt. Barbara Jones told reporters. “They ended up tussling with him”.
Johnson became non-responsive after one officer used a stun gun on him. Police said the officers started CPR and called a rescue crew, but he died later in the hospital.
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement has received the surveillance video of the incident and is investigating, the Sentinel reported.
Tasers, which are not generally lethal, can issue a jolt of 50,000 volts. Amnesty International has determined that more than 300 people in the U.S. have died since 2001 after they were jolted by Tasers.
Orlando police officers used their Tasers 315 times in 2010, 357 times in 2009, and 278 times in 2008, according to Jones.
- Bodybuilder dies of taser gun bolt! - Aug 18, 2011
- Stun guns disguised as phones flood Britain - Feb 12, 2012
- Police officers to protect the Royals with taser stun guns - Feb 06, 2011
- Use live bullets on rioters, says London public - Aug 10, 2011
- Police arrest masked superhero in Seattle - Oct 11, 2011
- Million volt stun guns smuggled into UK in disguise of Nokia phones - Aug 10, 2010
- Million volt stun gun smuggled into UK in disguise of phone - Aug 10, 2010
- Court limits police use of Taser - Dec 30, 2009
- Florida reporter says Biden staffer confined him in closet at posh fundraiser - Mar 28, 2011
- Cop dies in guerrilla attack in Kashmir - Jul 03, 2012
- Court Prohibits The Use Of Tasers By Police - Dec 30, 2009
- Aussie man kept woman as 'sex slave' using Taser stun gun - Jun 13, 2010
- US woman aviation pioneer dies - May 12, 2012
- Guerrillas shoot dead Kashmir policeman, injure another (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Woods' silence over accident provokes questions - Nov 29, 2009
Tags: adam johnson, amnesty international, bno, duty police officers, florida department of law, florida department of law enforcement, florida man, jolt, orlando police, orlando sentinel, police custody, police spokeswoman, rescue crew, stun gun, taser gun, tasers, universal studios, universal studios orlando, universal studios orlando florida, volts