Florida Gov asks clemency board to pardon Jim Morrison’s 1969 chargesNovember 18th, 2010 - 6:29 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Nov 18 (ANI): Florida Governor Charlie Crist has asked the state’s clemency board to pardon late rock star Jim Morrison of charges stemming from a 1969 concert.
Crist, 54, who wants the former front man of the Doors to be pardoned for indecent exposure and profane behaviour at a Miami concert, said he would officially submit Morrison’s name to the clemency board.
According to the New York Times, Crist said he came to the decision because “it’s the right thing to do”.
“In some ways it seems like a tragic conclusion to a young man’s life to have maybe this be a lasting legacy, where we’re not even sure that it actually occurred,” the New York Daily News quoted Crist as saying.
“The more that I’ve read about the case … the more convinced I am that maybe an injustice has been done here,” he stated.
Morrison was arrested in March 1969 after a show at the Dinner Key Auditorium, where cops said he taunted the crowd with obscene language, simulated oral sex with his guitarist and exposed his penis on stage in front of thousands of fans.
He was convicted in 1970, fined 500 dollars and sentenced to six months in jail, but died in a bathtub in Paris in 1971 while an appeal was still in process. (ANI)
- Jim Morrison could finally be pardoned for 'indecent exposure 40 yrs ago' - Nov 09, 2010
- Morrison gets posthumous pardon for 'indecent exposure' conviction - Dec 12, 2010
- ‘The Doors’ Vocalist, Jim Morrison, Granted Pardon Posthumously For Vulgar Exposure; His Wife Decries It - Dec 10, 2010
- Jim Morrison Might Be Granted Pardon By Governor Crist 38 Years Later - Nov 09, 2010
- Jim Morrison's widow unhappy with his official pardon from the FBEC - Dec 10, 2010
- Jim Morrison To Be Pardoned When "When the Music's Over" - Nov 09, 2010
- Jim Morrison to get posthumous pardon over 'exposure' conviction - Dec 09, 2010
- The Doors, family members refuse to accept Morrison pardon - Dec 23, 2010
- Jim Morrison's Widow Against Pardon Of Indecent Exposure Conviction - Dec 10, 2010
- Amy Winehouse dead, joins Club-27 - Jul 24, 2011
- WWE Smackdown: Mark Henry vs John Morrison - Oct 22, 2011
- Morrison thinks Cheryl Cole should appear on 'Glee' - Jun 21, 2011
- Jim Morrison gets four-city tribute in India - Jul 04, 2010
- Sherbet guitarist Clive Shakespeare dead - Feb 17, 2012
- Carlos Santana returns to Woodstock festival after four decades - Jul 20, 2010
Tags: bathtub, charlie crist, clemency board, florida gov, florida governor charlie, florida governor charlie crist, front man, governor charlie crist, guitarist, indecent exposure, injustice, jim morrison, miami concert, new york daily news, new york times, obscene language, oral sex, rock star, york daily news, young man