Floods, landslides kill 130 in BangladeshJuly 12th, 2012 - 7:05 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, July 12 (IANS) About 130 people died in floods and landslides triggered by monsoon rains in the past three weeks in Bangladesh, the government said Thursday.
In the hill districts of Chittagong, Cox’s Bazaar and Bandarban, at least 120 people died in the last week of June, Xinhua reported.
Nine more died so far this month, said S.M. Golam Kibria, spokesman for the disaster ministry, quoting an official report.
One million families in about a dozen districts have been affected.
The incessant rains inundated many areas and disrupted communications.
Kibria, however, said the situation is unlikely to get worse as the water levels in the major rivers are falling.
Water-borne diseases like diarrhoea are spreading in the flood-hit areas, he said.
- 90 die in Bangladesh floods, landslides - Jun 27, 2012
- Three killed as monsoon begins havoc in Nepal - Jul 01, 2011
- 48 killed in Bangladesh landslides (Lead) - Jun 15, 2010
- PM, Sonia to visit flood-hit Assam, toll rises to 61 - Jul 01, 2012
- Three kids die of diarrhoea in Doda in Jammu region - Aug 28, 2010
- Heavy monsoon rains in northern Pakistan kill 26 - Aug 25, 2012
- 23 die in landslides in Bangladesh - Jun 15, 2010
- Floods trigger epidemic fears in Meghalaya - Aug 22, 2011
- Floods recede in northeast; thousands still in shelters - Jul 02, 2012
- 12 killed, 40 missing as rains pound Uttarakhand, Jammu (Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- UN ready to help flood-hit India, Bangladesh - Jun 30, 2012
- Landslide kills 12 in Bangladesh - Jul 02, 2011
- PM announces Rs.500 crore for flood-hit Assam (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- 40 missing in Uttarakhand, rescue efforts on - Aug 05, 2012
- Rains, floods kill 115 in Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand - Aug 19, 2011
Tags: bangladesh, bazaar, cox, dhaka, diarrhoea, disaster, falling water, flood, floods, hill districts, incessant rains, landslides, monsoon rains, one million, rivers, spokesman, water borne diseases, water levels, xinhua