Floods displace thousands in people in BiharAugust 27th, 2008 - 7:36 pm ICT by ANI
Patna, Aug 27 (ANI): With the Kosi River continuing to unleash its fury in Bihar districts bordering Nepal, over 20 lakh people are bearing the brunt of floods.
The Army was called out to help the marooned people.
Three IAF helicopters airdropped relief materials in the flood-ravaged villages of Supaul, Araria and Madhepura districts where more than 12 lakh people were hit by the floods caused by the breach in the east Kosi embankment in Nepal on August 18.
According to the Central Water Commission, the Kosi, Ganga, Ghaghra, Punpun and Burhi Gandak were flowing above the danger level at several places along their course.
The Bihar government has constituted a technical committee, headed by retired engineer-in-chief of the water resource department Nilendu Sanyal to supervise the restoration work and closure of the breach in the East Kosi afflux embankment.
So far, 42 people have died in the floods in Bihar, official sources said.
People residing in Ramayanpur and many other villages of Amadabad block in Katihar district have been forced to seek shelter. Many of them who tried to occupy the the block development office premises were reportedly asked to seek shelter elsewhere.
“We don”t have a place to stay. We fear we will get drowned like this. The police chased us away. I just want a place to stay,” said Urmila Devi, a flood victim.
“We are getting drowned. We went to the block (Block Development Office). We were not allowed to stay there. When I came back, I saw that our houses were getting submerged. So I made my children sit on the rooftop. The Block Development Officer is not doing anything,” said Jhangru Chand, another flood victim. (ANI)
- More embankments to control floods in Bihar - Jul 05, 2011
- Thousands flee as Gandak breaches embankments (Lead) - Sep 16, 2010
- Over half a million hit by Bihar floods - Jul 06, 2011
- Bihar floods worsen, over 100 villages inundated - Jul 04, 2011
- Fear of floods back in Bihar - Jul 01, 2011
- Thousands flee as Gandak threatens embankments - Sep 16, 2010
- Bihar flood situation grim as all rivers rise - Jul 07, 2011
- Rising Kosi floods dozens of Bihar villages - Jul 05, 2012
- People flee homes as floodwaters enter 200 Bihar villages - Aug 25, 2010
- Nitish Govt. failed to tackle flood situation in Bihar: Paswan - Aug 27, 2008
- Nearly 100 Bihar villages flooded, rivers rising - Jul 02, 2011
- Gandak recedes in Bihar, but thousands still marooned - Sep 22, 2010
- Will there be another Kosi disaster? - Nov 29, 2010
- 10 Bihar villages flooded as Gandak river overflows - Sep 19, 2010
- Floods threaten large swathes of north India (Roundup) - Aug 25, 2010