Flicker from cigarette lighter saves missing mountain climbers lifeFebruary 9th, 2009 - 2:45 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 9 (ANI): A tiny flicker of flame from the cigarette lighter saved a 25-year-old mountain climber, who had got trapped on a frozen mountain ledge .
The tiny flame was spotted by a helicopter crew using night-vision goggles to peer through a storm eight miles away from the rescue spot.
As he desperately signalled at regular intervals for help, they followed the faint glimmer to rescue him at last.
He was flicking his lighter so that he might be spotted and luckily the flame was just enough for us to pick up through our night goggles, the Mirror quoted Pilot Flt Lt David Moran as saying.
The incident came into light after the climber and three others, including two women, were reported missing after getting into difficulties in Snowdonia, North Wales.
They were stranded near accident blackspot Clogwyn Coch 2,000ft up Snowdon after the climber lost his footing and fell 370ft. (ANI)
- 4x4 vehicle scales Snowdon again - Sep 30, 2011
- Prince William describes tragic helicopter mountain rescue mission - Jun 09, 2010
- Prince William helps rescue girl from Mount Snowdon - Jun 14, 2010
- Chopper crashes, crew killed in bid to rescue Japanese climber (Second Lead) - Nov 07, 2010
- Chopper searching for Japanese climber crashes in Nepal (Lead) - Nov 07, 2010
- Climber found reading map after surviving 1000ft fall - Jan 30, 2011
- Bodies of two mountain climbers found - Jul 16, 2012
- Man survives 1,000-ft mountain fall - Jan 31, 2011
- Brit dog falls off 200ft cliff, spends 6 days on bushy ledge, but survives! - May 31, 2010
- Italian mountain climber falls to death in Swiss Alps - Aug 22, 2011
- Viewers faint on seeing Danny Boyle's latest movie - '127 Hours' - Oct 29, 2010
- Stranded Everest heroes rescued in Nepal - Jan 24, 2011
- Indian Everest dreams soar to record high in 2011 - Feb 04, 2011
- Vigilance increased along LoC in Kashmir to check infiltration - Dec 29, 2010
- Missing climber found dead on Argentine peak - Mar 02, 2011
Tags: cigarette lighter, david moran, eight miles, faint glimmer, flicker, footing, helicopter crew, intervals, london feb, lt, mirror, missing mountain climbers, mountain climber, mountain ledge, night vision goggles, snowdon, snowdonia, snowdonia north wales, tiny flame, two women