Flash flood kills four in VietnamMay 12th, 2008 - 4:59 pm ICT by admin
Hanoi, May 12 (DPA) A flash flood triggered by heavy rains has killed four people, including two small children, in Vietnam’s central highlands, a police officer said Monday. The flash flood occurred early Sunday in Dac Ngo commune in Dak Nong province, 250 km north of Ho Chi Minh City, and lasted for about two hours, according to Dinh Dang Thoan, a commune police official.
The flood washed away two men and two young girls, seven and two years old. The two men were workers at a hydropower plant in the commune.
“They were sleeping in makeshift tents near a river when the flash flood happened, washing them and their tents away,” Thoan said. “We have found the bodies of three of them, but not yet the body of the seven-year-old girl.”
Floods and storms kill hundreds of people in Vietnam every year. More than 300 people were killed by floods and storms in Vietnam last year, including 89 people killed by Typhoon Lekima and the floods it triggered.
Experts from the National Hydrometeorology Forecast Centre have forecast that Vietnam would face more storms and floods this year, including strong and dangerous ones, due to the La Nina phenomenon.
Vietnam was hit by this year’s first storm in mid April, but no one was reportedly killed in the storm.
- 16 dead, 38 injured in Vietnam floods - Sep 10, 2012
- Vietnam storm toll rises to 109 - Nov 06, 2009
- Two dead, 10 missing in China storm - Aug 19, 2012
- Typhoon Mirinae kills at least 30 in Vietnam - Nov 04, 2009
- Tropical storm Ketsana kills 11 in Vietnam - Sep 29, 2009
- Death toll from Typhoon Bolaven in North Korea reaches 59 - Sep 06, 2012
- Toll in Vietnam typhoon rises to 81 (Lead) - Nov 04, 2009
- Heavy monsoon rains in northern Pakistan kill 26 - Aug 25, 2012
- Typhoon Ketsana leaves at least 38 dead in Vietnam - Sep 30, 2009
- India-educated Vietnamese may get ASEAN's top job - Aug 11, 2012
- Floods leave 17 dead in Vietnam - Sep 28, 2009
- Tropical Storm Nicole Triggers Flash Floods In Jamaica - Sep 30, 2010
- 90 die in Bangladesh floods, landslides - Jun 27, 2012
- 11 dead in Vietnam from hand-foot-mouth disease - Mar 15, 2012
- Tropical storm Rina could strengthen in the next couple of days - Oct 24, 2011
Tags: central highlands, chi minh city, dac, dak nong, dang, dpa, flash flood, floods, hanoi, heavy rains, ho chi minh, ho chi minh city, hydrometeorology, hydropower plant, la nina phenomenon, makeshift tents, old girl, police official, s central, young girls