Five US soldiers killed, Shia mosque blown up in IraqMay 4th, 2008 - 2:48 pm ICT by admin
Baghdad, May 4 (DPA) Five US soldiers were killed in two attacks in Iraq, US military said Sunday, while in the southern city of Basra the Iraqi army blew up a mosque housing the headquarters of the Shia Thaarallah party. The US military said four Marines had been killed Friday by a roadside bomb in the western Anbar province, and another soldier died that evening when a roadside bomb struck a patrol in eastern Baghdad.
Meanwhile, Iraqi and US troops continued their onslaught on militiamen from Mahdi Army of radical Shia cleric Moqtada al-Sadr in eastern Baghdad’s Sadr City slum area.
The US military said it struck with precision-controlled munitions “a criminal element command-and-control centre” in Sadr City Saturday.
The military uses the term “criminal elements” to refer to Iranian-backed Shia gunmen.
The missiles reportedly fell near a hospital, wounding civilians, according to witnesses.
In Basra, the Iraqi army blew up a Shia mosque housing the headquarters of Thaarallah party, witnesses told DPA.
The Iraqi army ordered local residents living close to the mosque in Nuab al-Dubat to keep away while it blew up the mosque, the witnesses said.
Security officials told the Voices of Iraq news agency that the destruction of the mosque came after troops found weapons and explosives there.
The leader of the party, Yusif Sinawi, had been arrested in April following clashes between security forces and his guards. He has allegedly been involved in paramilitary activities, killings and abductions in Basra.
Thaarallah was established in 2005 as a local party operating mainly in Basra, 550 km south of Iraq.
- Over 40 killed in Iraq violence (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- 60 dead in attack on Iraqi Shias, bombings (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Six killed in Iraq bomb attack - Mar 06, 2011
- Iraqi factions sign peace pact proposed by radical Shiite cleric - Dec 25, 2011
- Two killed, 11 injured in Iraq blasts - Apr 26, 2012
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- 63 killed in Iraq violence (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- 23 protesters killed in Iraq's 'Day of Rage' - Feb 26, 2011
- 27 killed in Iraq bomb attacks - Dec 22, 2011
- American held captive in Iraq released - Mar 18, 2012
- Tens of thousands protest in Baghdad to demand U.S. troops to leave - May 27, 2011
- Four killed in Iraq violence - Jul 19, 2011
- Iraqi-US forces arrest four suspected Al Qaeda men - Aug 28, 2010
- Four dead, 41 injured in fighting in east Baghdad - May 04, 2008
- 43 killed, over 190 wounded in Iraq bomb attacks (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
Tags: abductions, al sadr, anbar province, clashes, cleric, criminal element, criminal elements, dpa, gunmen, iraq news, iraqi army, militiamen, mosque, munitions, onslaught, roadside bomb, sadr city, security officials, slum area, voices of iraq