Five shot dead in Colombian barJuly 2nd, 2012 - 11:50 am ICT by IANS
Bogota, July 2 (IANS/EFE) Five people died and one was wounded when gunmen attacked a bar in Tumaco, a port city in southwestern Colombia, officials said.
Investigators are trying to determine whether the victims belonged to a criminal organization, Tumaco Mayor Victor Gallo told reporters Sunday.
“There are indications that these people belonged to the group of the Los Rastrojos gang,” Gallo said.
The victims were talking early Sunday when “several armed people opened fire on them indiscriminately”, the mayor said.
The massacre occurred in Bucheli, which is located outside Tumaco, a Pacific port city in Narino province.
Drug traffickers and Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, guerrillas operate in the area.
Los Rastrojos is one of a number of gangs founded by veterans of the defunct United Self-Defense Forces of Colombia, or AUC, militia federation.
Los Rastrojos and the other AUC successor groups, such as Los Paisas and Nueva Generacion, are responsible for a good deal of the criminal activity in Colombia, officials say.
- Colombia's 'new' militias have 4,000 fighters: Police - Aug 19, 2009
- Four dead in Colombia bus attack - Jun 21, 2012
- Three die in Colombian plane crash - Mar 19, 2012
- Drug lord described as `murderer of murderers' killed - Dec 30, 2010
- 12 Colombian rebels killed - Jul 12, 2010
- Death toll in Colombia car bomb blast rises to 9 - Mar 26, 2010
- Man gets 24 years for Colombian journalist's killing - Feb 07, 2012
- 1,500 people in Colombia forced to leave land - Apr 06, 2010
- 17 cocaine labs destroyed in Colombia - Jan 26, 2012
- Five die in Colombian bar attack - Sep 27, 2011
- Colombian caught trying to board plane with grenade - Aug 22, 2012
- Colombian rebels say they're holding French reporter - May 02, 2012
- Colombian navy destroys submarine meant for carrying drugs - Feb 18, 2010
- Two Colombian rebels killed by their own bomb - Jun 08, 2012
- Bomb strapped to horse wounds two Colombian soldiers - Jul 12, 2011
Tags: armed forces, auc, bogota, bucheli, criminal organization, drug traffickers, farc, gangs, guerrillas, gunmen, investigators, los paisas, militia, nueva generacion, pacific port city, revolutionary armed forces of colombia, self defense