Five policemen killed, senior officer wounded in Afghanistan blastsSeptember 24th, 2008 - 2:15 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, Sep 24 (DPA) Five policemen were killed and the crime department chief was wounded in blasts on the western outskirts of the Afghan capital, the interior ministry spokesman said Wednesday. Ali Shah Paktiawal, head of the criminal department of the Kabul city police, was wounded in a blast in the Company area, some 10 km from the city centre, Wednesday morning when he was inspecting the scene of an overnight attack against a police post in the area, Zemarai Bashary, interior ministry spokesman, said.
Three policemen were killed in the roadside blast Tuesday night in the same Company area when their vehicle was blown up by a mine close to their post, Bashary said.
The second blast, which occurred Wednesday morning, apparently targetting Paktiawal, Bashary said, adding, “Paktiawal was slightly wounded, but two of his bodyguards were killed.”
The Taliban took responsibility for the first attack in a statement posted on their website and said their militants detonated a police Ranger vehicle in the area, killing three officers.
There has been an increase in the number of attacks conducted by Taliban insurgents in and around Kabul recently.
Abdullah Wardak, governor for Logar province, was killed when his vehicle was struck by a remote-controlled roadside bomb in the Paghman area, some 15 km west of Kabul city, earlier this month.
- 10 policemen killed in Afghan bombing - Apr 28, 2012
- 10 killed in Afghan roadside bombing - Dec 29, 2011
- Taliban killed in failed bombing, five injured - Dec 02, 2011
- Taliban's 'spring offensive' continues in Afghanistan - Apr 16, 2012
- Eight Taliban killed, 13 held in Afghanistan (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- 487 killed in Afghanistan in past month: Official - Apr 24, 2011
- 15 killed in Afghan car bombing - Jun 25, 2011
- Afghan terror attack ends: 48 dead, 65 injured (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- 23 militants killed in Kandahar - May 08, 2011
- Taliban leader, five others killed in Afghanistan (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- Eight civilians killed in Afghanistan - May 08, 2010
- Eight die in Kabul bombing - Aug 07, 2012
- Three Taliban killed, 29 held in Afghanistan - Dec 01, 2011
- Five militants killed, 22 held in Afghanistan - Feb 27, 2012
- Afghan police kill 17 Taliban militants - Jul 31, 2012