Five policemen among seven killed in Chechnya suicide blastsAugust 31st, 2011 - 8:35 am ICT by IANS
Grozny (Chechnya), Aug 31 (IANS) Seven people, including five policemen, were killed and 18 others were injured in two suicide bombings in the capital of Russian North Caucasus republic of Chechnya, an official said Wednesday.
Five police officers, an emergencies ministry official and a civilian were killed in the explosions Tuesday, the North Caucasus republic’s head, Ramzan Kadyrov said.
Those injured included both law enforcers and civilians.
The first explosion occurred when police officers attempted to detain a suspected militant in the city’s Leninsky district, and a second blast followed some 30 minutes later when police officers and passersby gathered on the site.
Earlier it was reported that four people died and five were injured in the blasts apparently committed by suicide bombers.
Chechnya, which witnessed two brutal separatist wars in the 1990s and early 2000s, has seen a relative calm in recent years, with neighbouring Dagestan and Ingushetia bearing the brunt of North Caucasus militant violence.
- Two police officers among 12 killed in Chechnya - Aug 29, 2010
- Blast rocks Russia's North Caucasus - Nov 26, 2010
- Four militants killed in Chechnya operation - Sep 21, 2012
- At least four dead after shooting in Russia's Chechen parliament - Oct 19, 2010
- Two militants killed in Russia - Oct 23, 2010
- Russian jailed for 14 years for 2010 bombing - May 31, 2012
- Russian police kill five militants in Dagestan - Jun 16, 2010
- Car bomb kills four in Russia - Sep 28, 2011
- Three dead in North Caucasus blast - Sep 22, 2011
- Six militants killed in Russia - May 13, 2012
- Two killed in Russia blasts - Feb 15, 2011
- Two terrorists held over deadly attack in Russia - May 31, 2011
- Three killed in militant attack on Chechen parliament - Oct 19, 2010
- Five injured in Russia blast - Oct 24, 2010
- Suicide bomb attack kills five in Chechnya - Jul 27, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,