Five people washed away off US coast by Japan tsunamiMarch 12th, 2011 - 2:26 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Mar 12 (ANI): Five people have reportedly been washed off the US coast by the massive earthquake-cum-tsunami in Japan.
They were swept out to sea in Crescent City, northern California, The Telegraph reports.
The impact of the tidal wave that reached the US was minute, compared to the devastation it caused in Japan where over 1,000 people are believed to have been killed.
However, despite losing much of its power as it travelled across the Pacific, the tsunami was still strong enough to wreck boats and harbours as it crashed against the American shoreline.
The paper quoted Del Norte County sheriff’s spokesman, Bill Stevens, as saying that most of the boats in the harbour were removed as the waves approached, but the 35 that remained were buffeted against each other and some sank under the impact of the water. (ANI)
- Japan tsunami waves crush boats on US coast - Mar 12, 2011
- Powerful quake off Philippines triggers small tsunami - Aug 31, 2012
- Body found in Oregon identified as missing tsunami victim - Apr 12, 2011
- Japan tsunami alert sparks evacuations across Pacific - Mar 12, 2011
- ADB offers support for quake-hit Japan victims - Mar 14, 2011
- Hundreds dead as devastating quake, tsunami hit Japan (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 12, 2011
- Tsunami warnings issued for Hawaii, California and Oregon - Mar 11, 2011
- Massive tsunami claims over 100 lives in Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- Tsunami warning issued for Hawaii, tsunami watches for U.S. coastlines - Mar 11, 2011
- Three-day intensive search for missing people begins in tsunami hit Japan - Apr 01, 2011
- Japan quake death, missing toll crosses 1700 - Mar 12, 2011
- Massive tsunami kills 23 in Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- 'Wolverine', 'Avatar' sequels 'put on hold' after Japan disaster - Mar 23, 2011
- Japanese tsunami ship drifting to Canada - Mar 25, 2012
- Japan's 'miracle survivor' story turns out to be fake - Mar 20, 2011
Tags: boats, county sheriff, crescent city, del norte county, devastation, harbours, japan tsunami, massive earthquake, northern california, shoreline, spokesman, telegraph, tidal wave, tsunami, tsunami in japan, waves