Five militants killed, 22 held in AfghanistanFebruary 27th, 2012 - 5:32 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, Feb 27 (IANS) Five suspected Taliban militants were killed and 22 arrested in joint operations in eight Afghan provinces, the interior ministry said Monday.
The Afghan National Police, army, the National Directorate of Security and NATO-led coalition forces launched operations in Kandahar, Kunduz, Balkh, Nimroz, Wardak, Khost, Ghazni and Logar provinces, Xinhua reported citing a ministry statement.
Four anti-vehicle land mines, two drums full of explosives and an explosives-laden vehicle were also seized, the statement said.
Afghan forces and NATO-led troops have intensified clean-up operations in the country.
Around 200 militants have been killed and nearly 600 detained since the beginning of this year, the ministry said.
The Taliban is yet to make any comment.
- Taliban leader, five others killed in Afghanistan (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- 14 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Apr 14, 2012
- Afghan police kill 15 militants, detain 11 - Aug 23, 2012
- Eight Taliban killed, 13 held in Afghanistan (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- 15 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan - Dec 31, 2011
- 42 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Jun 17, 2012
- 42 Taliban killed, 37 held in Afghanistan - Dec 04, 2011
- 22 Taliban insurgents killed - Oct 17, 2011
- 11 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan - Sep 09, 2012
- 11 militants killed, 19 held in Afghanistan - Oct 09, 2011
- 36 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - May 05, 2012
- Afghan police kill 17 Taliban militants - Jul 31, 2012
- Three Taliban killed, 29 held in Afghanistan - Dec 01, 2011
- Eight Taliban killed in Afghanistan - May 06, 2012
- 14 militants killed in Afghanistan - Sep 10, 2011
Tags: afghanistan kabul, balkh, coalition forces, explosives, ghazni, interior ministry, joint operations, kandahar, khost, kunduz, land mines, logar, militants, ministry statement, national directorate, national police, nimroz, two drums, wardak, xinhua