Five militants allegedly backed by Iran held in IraqOctober 3rd, 2008 - 6:27 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Oct 3 (Xinhua) US-led forces captured five members of one of the militant groups believed to be sponsored by Iran to fight Iraqi and coalition forces in the war-torn country, the US military said Friday. Based on intelligence reports, US troops conducted an operation in Baghdad’s eastern part of Rusafa Thursday and detained a senior leader of the Special Groups along with four of his aides, a military statement said.
“The suspected leader is believed to be involved in smuggling Iranian-supplied lethal aid into Iraq, and a key facilitator in planning and conducting attacks on Iraqi and coalition forces,” the statement said.
The US military said that the groups are receiving “funding, training, weapons and even direction from the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps - Quds Force (IRGC-QF)”.
The IRGC-QF attempts to destabilize the government of Iraq, through Iran’s “militia-proxies” inside Iraq, it added.
Washington has long accused Iran of fanning violence in Iraq by giving sophisticated bomb-making technology, money and training to militant Shia groups, some of which have links with Iraq’s Shia-led government.
However, Tehran denies the accusations and blames American soldiers for the violence and for inflaming tensions between Shias and once-dominant Sunni Arabs.
- Iran's Revolutionary Guard aided Iraqi militias during second Gulf War - Oct 23, 2010
- Over 40 killed in Iraq violence (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Former UK envoy says Blair exaggerated Iran's role in Iraq - Jul 08, 2010
- Iran increasing lethal aid to Syria: US daily - Mar 05, 2012
- 2 killed, 16 injured in attacks in Iraq - Nov 13, 2011
- 12 killed in Iraq suicide attack - Feb 21, 2011
- Compelling evidence of war crimes in Iraq: Wikileaks (Lead) - Oct 23, 2010
- Thousands of Iraqis protest against foreign intervention - Sep 17, 2011
- Five Iraqi soldiers killed in separate attacks - Sep 05, 2012
- U.S. officially ends nearly nine-year-long war in Iraq - Dec 15, 2011
- Iran hails US withdrawal from Iraq - Jan 02, 2012
- Early Iraq poll results show tight race - Mar 13, 2010
- 30 wounded in Iraq bombings - Sep 09, 2012
- US warships in Gulf 'sitting ducks' for Iran missiles - Jul 05, 2012
- Iraq frees 36 Iranian opposition members - Oct 07, 2009