Five migrants found dead in boat near ItalyMarch 17th, 2012 - 10:25 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, March 17 (IANS) Five migrants were found dead Saturday in a boat south of Lampedusa Island in southern Italy, the ANSA news agency said.
Local coast guard found the bodies in a packed boat travelling to Italy in Libyan waters after one of the migrants sent an SOS on his satellite phone, reported Xinhua.
Most of the other 52 people on the boat, including women and children, were in bad health conditions.
Preparations have been made to accommodate the migrants in Lampedusa’s emergency centres, while those seriously ill have been sent to nearby hospitals.
- 25 migrants found dead as boat reaches Italy - Aug 01, 2011
- Tunisia and Italy agree to curb illegal immigration - Apr 07, 2011
- Hundreds missing after migrant boat sinks near Italian island, 50 rescued - Apr 06, 2011
- Berlusconi, Sarkozy call for changes to Schengen treaty - Apr 27, 2011
- Two human traffickers held in Italy - Apr 23, 2011
- Boat with Egyptian migrants held in Italy - Jun 13, 2012
- Libya unrest may unleash wave of 350,000 migrants: Italy - Feb 24, 2011
- Libya becomes a roadblock on the path to Europe - Sep 11, 2010
- Condoms urged for Tunisian migrants on Italian island - Mar 30, 2011
- 150 killed in Mediterranean boat capsize: UN - Jun 04, 2011
- Italian cruise ship adrift off Seychelles after fire - Feb 28, 2012
- 5,000 Tunisian immigrants arrive in Italy - Feb 15, 2011
- Ship's sinking: Captain refused to coordinate evacuation (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Five more bodies found on wrecked Italian ship - Jan 18, 2012
- Europe can't handle migrants exodus: Marine Le Pen - Mar 15, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,