Five killed as tear gas grenade explodes in Peru discoDecember 26th, 2008 - 7:19 am ICT by IANS
Lima, Dec 26 (IANS) Five people have died of suffocation after a tear gas grenade was detonated at a disco in the southern Peruvian city of Juliaca, near the border with Bolivia, the EFE news agency reported Friday.The grenade went off early Thursday morning in the middle of the disco and in the panic that followed, five people asphyxiated while at least 10 others were injured, the police said.
The victims were between the ages of 17 and 20.
The reason why the tear gas canister was set off inside the crowded club is not known, but an investigation is under way.
Meanwhile, Radio Programas del Peru reported on its website that several residents of the neighborhood around the Boom disco tried to set fire to the building and rob the victims, but firefighters and police prevented them from doing so.
The official Andina news agency also reported that seven suspects were arrested for trying to steal the victims’ belongings.
- Bodies of two US mountaineers found in Peru - Jul 30, 2012
- 91 cops ill after having chicken soup in Peru - Apr 23, 2012
- 13 killed as bus falls into lake in Peru - Apr 13, 2010
- Inmate kills girlfriend, stashes body in cell at Peru prison - Nov 30, 2010
- Jose Benítez blames tap water for increase in gay population - Nov 23, 2011
- Jennifer Lopez arrives in Peru - Dec 05, 2011
- Nine miners trapped in Peru may be rescued soon - Apr 11, 2012
- 15 killed in Peru road accident - Mar 17, 2012
- Items from Machu Picchu return to Peru after nearly a century - Mar 31, 2011
- Man trapped in Peru gold mine rescued - Apr 20, 2012
- Three arrested in Peru with fake bills - Jul 04, 2010
- Palestinian demonstrator injured during West Bank protest dies - Dec 11, 2011
- Peruvian cyclists take to road in buff - Mar 15, 2010
- Chopper goes missing in Peru - Jun 08, 2012
- 17 die in Peru road accident - Apr 02, 2011