Five killed, 17 wounded in Kandahar suicide bomb attackApril 9th, 2009 - 9:29 pm ICT by ANI
Kandahar (Afghanistan), Apr.9 (ANI): At least five people were killed and 17 wounded when a suicide bomber attacked a police drug eradication unit in southern Afghanistan on Thursday.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the incident.
The Dawn quoted Helmand Province’s Deputy Police Chief Kamaluddin, as saying that the attacker struck the patrol in Lashkar Gah, a major drug-producing area.
The members of the force were traveling in a convoy of vehicles headed for nearby districts to eradicate poppies at the time of the blast, he added.
Among the dead were two police officers and three civilians. Four policemen and 13 civilians were injured.
The explosion damaged two police vehicles and three shops.
The Afghan Interior Ministry blamed ‘the narcotics mafia’ for the attack.
Afghanistan is the world’s largest producer of opium, the main ingredient in heroin. The Afghan opium trade accounts for 90 percent of worldwide production. The UN estimated last year that up to 500 million dollars from the illegal drug trade flows to Taliban fighters and criminal groups. (ANI)
- UN survey finds 'major drug abuse' in Afghanistan - Jun 21, 2010
- 15 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan - Dec 31, 2011
- WikiLeaks: Taliban considers drug stock like savings accounts - Dec 21, 2010
- Massive amounts of drugs seized in Afghanistan - Sep 13, 2012
- 54 drug smugglers held in Afghanistan - Jan 10, 2011
- Obama identifies Pakistan as "major transit country" for narcotics - Sep 17, 2010
- UN says rising opium prices threaten fight against drug production in Afghanistan - Jan 21, 2011
- 400 kg hashish seized in Afghanistan - Nov 06, 2011
- Obama names India, Pakistan among drug majors - Sep 17, 2010
- 'One mn Afghans suffer from drug addiction' - Jul 11, 2012
- 18 Afghan civilians killed in blast (Lead) - Jul 29, 2011
- 10 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Apr 07, 2012
- 2010 Afghan opium production at 'lowest level' since 2003 - Oct 01, 2010
- Eight Taliban killed, 13 held in Afghanistan (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Taliban kill senior Afghan police official - Jul 28, 2011
Tags: criminal groups, deputy police, eradication, illegal drug trade, interior ministry, kamaluddin, kandahar afghanistan, lashkar gah, main ingredient, nearby districts, opium trade, police drug, police vehicles, policemen, poppies, southern afghanistan, suicide bomb attack, suicide bomber, trade accounts, worldwide production