Five JeM militants held in BangladeshFebruary 28th, 2010 - 7:39 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Feb 28 (IANS) Five operatives of Pakistan-based militant organisation Jaish-e-Mohammad have been arrested from various parts of Bangladesh, an official said Sunday.
One of the five arrested is a Pakistani national and the others are Bangladeshi citizens, Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) official Mohammad Kamaruzzaman told the Daily Star newspaper.
Four were arrested from Sukanya Tower, opposite Dhaka College in the national capital, while the fifth man was held from a hotel.
The official did not divulge their identifications.
The JeM has been held responsible for the Dec 13, 2001, terrorist attack on the Indian Parliament in New Delhi, benews24.com said.
The JeM is a relatively new terrorist outfit, compared to other major outfits active in Jammu and Kashmir. Like the Lashkar-e-Taeba (LeT), the JeM too is an outfit formed, controlled and manned by Pakistan.
The outfit was launched on Jan 31, 2000, by Maulana Masood Azhar in Karachi after he was released from an Indian jail during the terrorists-for-hostage swap of Dec 31, 1999, following the hijacking of the Indian Airlines Flight IC 814 to Kandahar, Afghanistran.
- JeM coordinator for India, Bangladesh nabbed in Dhaka (Lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Pak national nabbed in Chile not IC-814 hijacking accused: Pakistan - Apr 14, 2011
- Hijacker of Indian plane to Kandahar nabbed again in Dhaka - Mar 01, 2010
- Masood Azhar back in business, says Pakistani paper - Sep 07, 2011
- Arrested Jaish militant admits he helped IC814 hijackers enter India through Bangladesh - Mar 06, 2010
- India to ask Bangladesh to handover suspected Kandahar hijack accused - Mar 02, 2010
- Pak looking forward to Chidambaram's visit: Qureshi - Jun 08, 2010
- India to contact Bangladesh over IC-814 hijack plotter - Mar 02, 2010
- US slaps sanctions on LeT, JeM - Nov 05, 2010
- Two guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight - May 27, 2011
- Delhi cops to quiz Kandahar hijacker on other terror attacks - Mar 03, 2010
- Kandahar hijack planners came to India via Bangladesh: Jaish militant - Mar 06, 2010
- Inside Jammu jail, comes up music band - Feb 23, 2011
- ISI has floated new terror outfit, says militant - Aug 30, 2010
- Jaish-e-Mohammad denies involvement in Kabul attack - Feb 27, 2010
Tags: battalion, daily star, dhaka, hijacking, hostage, indian airlines flight, indian parliament, jaish, jammu and kashmir, jem, kandahar, karachi, kashmir, lashkar, masood azhar, militant organisation, mohammad, operatives, rapid action, terrorist attack