Five Indians for Asian karting seriesMarch 31st, 2009 - 8:03 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, March 31 (IANS) Chennai-based Meco Racing, a division of Meco Motorsports Pvt Ltd, has set up its own team to participate in the four-round Asian Rotax Max Karting championship.
Meco Racing will enter five talented Indian youngsters Samyak Shah (Mumbai) in the senior class, Sandeep Kumar, Shashank Ravishankar (both from Chennai), Raj Bharath Swaminathan from Bangalore and Mitra Yerawadekar (Pune) in the junior class.
All these drivers have been taking part in the JK Tyre Rotax Max Indian Karting Challenge over the last two years and are now ready for the step up to International Karting, said Akbar Ebrahim of Meco Motorsports who will be in charge of the karting programme.
The team will also be sponsored by JK Tyre and Amaron.
The winners of the Junior and Senior classes will get a valid entry into the Rotax Max World Finals slated to be held in Egypt in November 2009.
Participants from Japan, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia and Australia have confirmed their participation in the championship.
Meco Racing has taken this step to set up a full-fledged operation to handle young and talented Indian Karting drivers and to give them the required exposure to compete in an International forum.
Meco Racing will have its own mechanics and race engineers to take care of the team drivers competing in the championship.
Commented Rafiq Sait, Director-MMS: “We have taken this initiative to set up operations to participate as an Indian Team in the Asian Championships as the overall interest and participation levels in karting has gone up quite considerably.
“There are now many youngsters who are willing to make this sport their profession. It is natural that one needs to move on to International Karting before they start to embark on a serious National and International Racing career.
“Keeping this in mind, plans are now on to set up a full fledged Indian Racing team for 2010, that will take part in the Formula BMW Pacific Racing Championship.
Schedule: April 11-12 (Malaysia); May 9-10 (Indonesia); July 25-26 (Kuantan, Malaysia) and Oct 17-18 (Macau or Malaysia).
- 33 entries for National Rotax Karting Championship - Aug 05, 2011
- Close contest likely in final round of Rotax Karting - Sep 02, 2011
- Danigod tops in Micro class - Aug 19, 2012
- Tough start for Indian karters - Apr 24, 2012
- Chittesh, Maini brothers dominate at Rotax Karting - Jul 09, 2011
- Maiden win for Ameya Bafna in Rotax Karting - Jul 10, 2011
- JK Asia Series to run in Europe (Lead) - May 24, 2012
- Motorsports: Saleem, Surya, Phaneesh top JK Tyre-MMS Rookie Cup - Apr 29, 2012
- Vishnu, Jehan win in National Rotax Max Karting - Aug 07, 2011
- National Karting season begins from June - May 15, 2009
- JK Tyres launches talent hunt - Jan 30, 2010
- Rajvirdhan, Diljith claim titles in National Racing - Nov 26, 2011
- Double for Mohite's Racing - Aug 05, 2012
- Daruvala bags pole in fourth round of national karting - Aug 06, 2011
- JK Racing Asia series set for Euro debut - Jun 29, 2012
Tags: asian championships, chennai, ebrahim, formula bmw, international forum, jk tyre, karting championship, max world, meco, participation levels, pune, pvt ltd, race engineers, rafiq, rotax max karting, shashank, swaminathan, team drivers, tyre, youngsters