Five Indian techies from Hyderabad die in US car crash (Lead)August 11th, 2012 - 9:36 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 11 (IANS) Five Indian software professionals, all from Hyderabad, were killed when their out-of-control Chevrolet Camaro hit a tractor-trailer and burst into flames in a fiery crash on a highway near Oklahoma city Friday, police said.
The accident took place as the driver of the car, travelling south on the Interstate 235, lost control as it tried to merge onto the ramp toward southbound I-35, the Highway Patrol said. The Camaro flew off the road and onto the southbound ramp from I-40 to I-35. It slammed into the back of a semi-truck and went under the trailer.
The top of the car was sheared off. The car then spun off the road and burst into flames. All five people inside the Camaro were ejected from the vehicle and died at the scene. The driver of the semi was not hurt.
The Oklahoma Highway Patrol shut down traffic in the area for several hours while they investigated the fatal crash.
The names of the people killed were not released, but the Telugu Association of North America (TANA) citing a friend of those killed identified the five as Jaswanth Reddy Subbayyagari, Phanindra Gade, Anurag Anthati, Srinivas Ravi and Venkat.
TANA president Prasad Thotakura said the organisation was working with police and the local community to inform the families of the deceased and making necessary arrangements to send the bodies to India.
- Five Indian techies die in car accident in US - Aug 11, 2012
- US car crash claims 5 Andhra techies, families in gloom - Aug 11, 2012
- 10 killed, 18 injured in Florida highway pileups - Jan 30, 2012
- At least 11 dead in Kentucky I-65 crash - Mar 26, 2010
- Eight die as truck ploughs into Brazil procession - Dec 10, 2011
- Accident On 57 Freeway In Fullerton - Jul 24, 2009
- Snowstorm storms upper Midwest - Feb 25, 2012
- US tornadoes kill five, injure dozens - May 11, 2010
- 14 die in New York tour bus accident - Mar 13, 2011
- Four Andhra men killed in US car crash - Oct 24, 2011
- Tornado Hits Dallas, No Serious Damage Reported - Sep 09, 2010
- Ban cell phone use while driving: US safety panel - Dec 14, 2011
- Florida highway pile-up kills at least ten people - Jan 30, 2012
- Fire in crash test of Chevy Volt launches investigation - Nov 28, 2011
- Car catches fire as Panetta lands in Afghanistan - Mar 15, 2012
Tags: camaro, car crash, chevrolet camaro, fatal crash, fiery crash, gade, indian software professionals, indian techies, local community, necessary arrangements, oklahoma highway patrol, prasad, ramp, ravi, semi truck, srinivas, tana, telugu association of north america, tractor trailer, venkat