Five held on terror charges in Britain (Lead)April 24th, 2012 - 11:45 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 24 (IANS) Five men suspected of the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism were arrested Tuesday in Britain, Scotland Yard said.
Anti-terror police swooped on a series of different addresses in Luton town before dawn as part of a pre-planned, intelligence-led operation.
The men, aged 21, 23, 24, 25 and 30, were all arrested at separate homes in Luton this morning and have been taken to a central London police station for questioning, the Daily Mail reported.
According to the Scotland Yard, searches under the Terrorism Act 2000 were taking place at all five of the addresses and inquiries are ongoing.
A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police counter-terrorism command said: “All five were arrested at separate residential addresses in Luton. They have been taken to a central London police station where they remain in custody.
“The arrests were a part of a pre-planned, intelligence-led operation.”
The raids come the same week that mass killer Anders Breivik, on trial for the massacre of 77 people, told a Norwegian court that Muslims want sharia law in “places like Luton”.
- Five held in Britain on terror charges - Apr 24, 2012
- UK police arrest five terror suspects near London - Apr 24, 2012
- British police arrest twelve terror suspects - Dec 20, 2010
- Six charged with terrorism offences in Britain - Sep 26, 2011
- Seven arrested in anti-terrorism raid in Britain - Sep 19, 2011
- Norway killer called cops to say 'mission accomplished' - Jul 31, 2011
- Norwegian killer mulls autobiography - Aug 22, 2012
- Norway attacker filmed his victims: Police - Aug 11, 2011
- Norway attacker appears in court (Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- Scotland Yard asked to help probe Norway attacks - Jul 25, 2011
- Norway's mass killer faces court hearing - Jul 25, 2011
- UK terror plot: Suspects of Bangladeshi origin, but born in Britain - Dec 21, 2010
- London terror plots: Six held, bus emptied on highway (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Norway failed to act on Breivik 'explosives' report - Jul 26, 2011
- Italian lawmaker apologises for backing Breivik ideology (Lead) - Jul 28, 2011
Tags: acts of terrorism, april 24, central london, counter terrorism, daily mail, dawn, five men, inquiries, instigation, london police, mass killer, metropolitan police, muslims, police station, residential addresses, scotland yard, spokesman, terror charges, terror police, terrorism act 2000