Five GITMO detainees say they planned 9/11March 10th, 2009 - 2:51 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Mar.10 (ANI): The five detainees at Guantanamo Bay charged with planning the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks have filed a document with the military commission at the United States naval base there expressing pride at their accomplishment and accepting full responsibility for the killing of nearly 3,000 people.
The document, which may be released publicly on Tuesday, uses the Arabic term for a consultative assembly in describing the five men as the 9/11 Shura Council, and it says their actions were an offering to God.
The document is titled The Islamic Response to the Governments Nine Accusations, the military judge at the Guantanamo Bay detention camp said in a separate filing, obtained by The New York Times, that describes the detainees document.
The document was filed on behalf of the five men, including Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, who has described himself as the mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks.
President Obama halted the military proceedings at Guantanamo in the first days after his inauguration, and the five mens case is on hiatus until the government decides how it will proceed.
Several of the men have earlier said in military commission proceedings at Guantanamo that they planned the 2001 attacks and that they sought martyrdom.
In his brief court order describing the filing, the military judge who has been handling the case, Col. Stephen R. Henley of the Army, said the men sought no specific legal action. Judge Henley ordered that the filing be released immediately, but officials said objections from lawyers for two of the men had held up release Monday. (ANI)
- Pakistani mastermind of 9/11 charged again - Jun 01, 2011
- Holder blames Congress for forcing 9/11 mastermind, accomplices' trial at Guantanamo Bay - Apr 05, 2011
- US prosecutors file fresh charges against 9/11 suspects - Jun 01, 2011
- Tropical storm forces delay of 9/11 trial - Aug 24, 2012
- Obama orders resumption of Guantanamo trials - Mar 08, 2011
- Pakistani-American pleads guilty to terror charges - Mar 01, 2012
- 35 Guantanamo detainees trained as terrorists in London - Apr 26, 2011
- 9/11 Pakistani mastermind, 4 others sent for trial - Apr 05, 2012
- US charges five 9/11 terror suspects - Apr 05, 2012
- 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed faces New York trial (Second Lead) - Nov 14, 2009
- US military judge seals sentence of bin Laden's former cook - Aug 10, 2010
- No 9/11 accused has gone to the gallows - Sep 10, 2011
- US to release five Taliban from Guantanamo? - Apr 01, 2012
- Obama defends plans to close Guantanamo - Sep 11, 2010
- 9/11 attack mastermind on trial in Guantanamo - May 06, 2012
Tags: arabic term, commission proceedings, consultative assembly, detainees at guantanamo bay, detention camp, five men, gitmo, henley, hiatus, inauguration, islamic response, khalid shaikh mohammed, martyrdom, mastermind, military commission, military judge, new york times, obama, sept 11 2001, sept 11 attacks