Five get organs from man with HIVSeptember 30th, 2011 - 12:13 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Sep 30 (IANS) Five people unknowingly received organs from an HIV-positive man in Taiwan due to “human error” at the hospital. All the organ receivers have so far tested HIV-negative, a media report said Friday.
On Aug 24, a team of doctors at Taiwan University Hospital removed organs from a man pronounced brain dead. His heart, liver, one lung, and both kidneys were surgically removed and transplanted to five patients after a lab official said HIV test results were “non-reactive”.
Later it discovered the donor was HIV-positive, the Shanghai Daily reported.
The hospital announced Thursday that the five patients have tested HIV-negative.
All five will, however, continue to be receive HIV-preventive medicine and will remain under observation for at least six months. The hospital will bear their medical expenses.
The patient who received the lung was still under intensive care and the kidney recipient also remains hospitalised. The other three have been discharged, a hospital official said.
Health authorities released an investigation report, saying there were human errors in the case. The hospital staff were notified about the HIV test result via telephone, without any proper confirmation.
The hospital will be fined around $16,000. The head of the organ transplant team, who resigned earlier this month, will face punishment as well.
- Cross blood group transplants conducted in India - Nov 11, 2011
- HIV patients can have long-term kidney transplant survival rates too - Jan 20, 2009
- Two hospital staff shifted out for giving wrong HIV report - Nov 01, 2011
- HIV-positive porn actor did not infect others, says clinic - Nov 06, 2010
- HIV drug treatment doesn't reduce risk of partner infection - Oct 01, 2010
- Singapore doctors promote organ donation - Sep 03, 2011
- Family gets 1,150 pounds for heart 'donation' blunder - Jan 22, 2012
- HIV-infected teens 'at high risk for pregnancy, complications' - Feb 02, 2011
- Hyderabad hospital performs rare kidney transplant - Aug 19, 2011
- US organ recipient contracts HIV from donor after post-screening - Mar 18, 2011
- Live human heart grown in lab offers new hope to cardiac patients - Apr 04, 2011
- Save lives, become an organ donor (Nov 27 is World Organ Donation Day) - Nov 27, 2010
- Pakistani man loses kidney, gets Rs.2,000 as transportation - Jul 31, 2011
- Spain carries out 94 organ transplants in 72 hours - Dec 06, 2011
- Donor organs go waste in Britain - Feb 13, 2012
Tags: beijing, five patients, health authorities, hiv, hiv positive, hiv test result, hiv test results, hospital staff, human error, intensive care, investigation report, kidneys, medical expenses, organ transplant, organs, preventive medicine, receivers, shanghai, taiwan university, transplant team