Five die in US chopper crashDecember 8th, 2011 - 1:47 pm ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Dec 8 (IANS) A helicopter crashed near Las Vegas Wednesday evening killing four passengers on board and the pilot, an official said.
The accident occurred around 5 p.m. when the chopper, operated by Sundance Helicopters, was taking passengers on a tour over Hoover Dam and went down outside of the Lake Mead National Recreation Area, east of Las Vegas, authorities quoted by local media said.
Several witnesses reported smoke and what appeared to be wreckage in the area, reported Xinhua citing a TV report.
Police spokesperson Bill Cassell said rescuers were trying to reach the isolated area of the crash, but later the rescue mission turned to a recovery effort after it was discovered that the five on board were killed.
The cause of the accident was still unknown.
The helicopter was an Aerospatiale AS350, which can hold up to six passengers and are often used for air tours.
Founded in 1985, Sundance Helicopters operates the largest and most experienced helicopter company in Las Vegas, featuring daily Grand Canyon Helicopter Tours. The company says on its website that it carries “more than 160,000 customers safely each year”.
In September 2003, a Sundance Grand Canyon tour helicopter crashed, killing all seven people on board, including at least four foreign tourists.
- Hoover dam helicopter crash kills 5 - Dec 08, 2011
- Helicopter crashes in Belarus, killing 5 people - Oct 21, 2011
- Helicopter crash in south-central Indonesia kills 2 - Sep 26, 2011
- 17 killed in Arunachal chopper crash in (Second Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- 17 die in Arunachal chopper crash (Third Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Pilot dies in chopper crash in Russia - Apr 07, 2012
- Arunachal MP puts Pawan Hans in dock, blames poor upkeep for crash - Apr 21, 2011
- Helicopter with 23 aboard crashes in Arunachal Pradesh (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Argentina airline crash kills 22 - May 19, 2011
- U.S. pilot among three killed in small plane crash in Indonesia - Sep 22, 2011
- Plane with 127 on board crashes in Pakistan, no survivors (Night Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Four military personnel dead in helicopter crash in northeast India - Apr 22, 2011
- 17 killed in Arunachal chopper crash, six survive (Fourth Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Indian American banker dies in US plane crash (Third Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- Helicopter crashes near Gulf of Mexico oil rig platform - May 29, 2012
Tags: aerospatiale as350, cassell, grand canyon helicopter, grand canyon helicopter tours, grand canyon tour, helicopter company, hoover dam, lake mead national recreation area, local media, national recreation area, police spokesperson, recovery effort, rescue mission, rescuers, sundance helicopters, tour helicopter, tv report, wednesday evening, wreckage, xinhua