Five die in Brazil when elevator crashesApril 22nd, 2012 - 11:55 am ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, April 22 (IANS/EFE) Five miners died in a elevator accident at an emerald mine in northeastern Brazil, officials said.
The elevator the workers were riding in crashed into its shaft from a height of 100 meters when its steel cable broke.
The accident occurred in a mine worked by gemstone artisans on the Carnaiba mountains in the Pindobacu municipality, some 400 km from Salvador, the Bahia state capital.
- JLo, Sharon Stone bring more glitz to Brazil carnival - Feb 20, 2012
- Five cities hold 25 percent of Brazil's national wealth - Dec 15, 2011
- Mob kills murder suspect in Brazil - May 16, 2012
- 17 school kids killed in Brazil road accident - Jun 06, 2010
- Nine killed in Brazil elevator accident - Aug 10, 2011
- Spanish firm cuts energy deal in Brazil - Sep 14, 2012
- Woman to head Brazilian oil giant - Jan 24, 2012
- Violence causes over 25 percent of teen deaths in Brazil - Jul 19, 2012
- Brazilian masterminds art thefts from behind bars - Jul 17, 2012
- Brazil busts $625 mn tax-evasion racket - Aug 18, 2011
- 134 Brazilian prisoners escape in two jailbreaks - Nov 28, 2011
- Latin America's largest garbage dump closes (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- Brazil reduces Chevron fine for oil spill - Sep 18, 2012
- Brazilian firm makes oil find - Feb 05, 2012
- `Chevron out of Brazil if it fails to comply with agreement' - Dec 05, 2011