Five dead in German hostage crisis (Lead)July 5th, 2012 - 5:40 am ICT by IANS
Berlin, July 4 (IANS) All four hostages and an armed kidnapper died Wednesday in a seige in Karlsruhe city in southwest Germany, media reports said.
Xinhua said the man took four people hostage in a building in the morning during an attempted eviction of an apartment.
Rampant shooting was reported around 9 a.m. when two court bailiffs tried to carry out a forceful eviction of the flat. All five died of gunshot wounds.
BBC said the hostages included a bailiff, a locksmith, the flat-owner and a prospective tenant. The gunman was facing eviction for not paying his rent.
Special forces broke into the apartment after smelling smoke and found the bodies.
The gunman had several hunting weapons and did not establish direct contact with the police.
The area was sealed off and hundreds of police officers were deployed. A school and a kindergarten nearby were evacuated.
- Gunman kills one, takes another hostage in German town - Jul 05, 2012
- Russian woman loses fight to keep dogs instead of parents - Jul 29, 2011
- Paris hostage drama ends peacefully - Jul 10, 2012
- Delhi court evicts tenant from ex-official's flat - Jul 01, 2012
- Belgian gunman kills son and police officer - Mar 14, 2010
- Chinese police kill seven kidnappers, free hostages - Dec 29, 2011
- No bar on eviction if tenant ignores orders to pay dues: Court - Jul 18, 2010
- 14 shot dead as they saw Batman film in US theatre (Third Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Gurdwara shooter acted alone: FBI - Aug 09, 2012
- 2500 German police evict tenants from Berlin's squat - Feb 02, 2011
- Three held for elderly man's murder - Apr 10, 2012
- Batman movie premiere turns deadly in Denver, 12 dead (Fifth Lead, changing dateline) - Jul 20, 2012
- Estonia defence ministry attacked - Aug 11, 2011
- 30 Malaysian kids held hostage rescued (Lead) - Jul 07, 2011
- Apex court upholds needy landlord's right to evict tenant (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
Tags: bailiff, bbc, court bailiffs, direct contact, eviction, gunman, gunshot wounds, hostage crisis, hostages, hunting, july 4, kidnapper, kindergarten, locksmith, police officers, prospective tenant, seige, southwest germany, special forces, xinhua