Five bodies found in quake-hit Afghan districtJune 12th, 2012 - 1:57 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, June 12 (IANS) Five bodies have been found from the rubble in an Afghan district that was hit by a landslide after an earthquake jolted parts of the country Monday.
The landslide took place in the mountainous Burka district of Baghlan province, 160 km north of capital Kabul, destroying 25 houses and dozens of people were feared dead, officials said Tuesday.
“So far, five bodies have been discovered and the rescue operation is going on,” Xinhua qouted spokesperson for provincial administration Mahmoud Haqmal as saying.
Officials said that almost all the women and children of the 25 destroyed houses have been trapped under the debris since Monday and were feared dead.
The men were out in their farm during the quake and so perhaps escaped.
A quake measuring 5.7 rocked several parts of Afghanistan, including the capital Kabul, Monday morning.
- Afghan woman official killed in blast - Jul 14, 2012
- Seven killed in Afghan quake - Apr 19, 2010
- 42 die in Indian quake, rains hamper relief work - Sep 19, 2011
- Landslide kills one in Guwahati - Jun 25, 2012
- Deaths, destruction as strong quake hits India, Nepal - Sep 19, 2011
- Bhutia appeals for help to the quake-hit - Sep 21, 2011
- Indonesian quake kills 529, thousands trapped under rubble (Third Lead) - Oct 01, 2009
- 37 killed in avalanche in Afghanistan - Mar 06, 2012
- Quake rattles Maharashtra - Sep 19, 2011
- 50 militants surrender in Afghanistan - Jan 29, 2012
- China moves to prevent further flooding, as rescue continues - Aug 09, 2010
- Indonesia quake toll rises to 467 (Second Lead) - Oct 01, 2009
- 35 killed, hundreds injured in Sunday's quake in north, east India - Sep 19, 2011
- Western China quake toll rises to 589 - Apr 15, 2010
- Quake kills 10, injures over 200 in Bengal - Sep 19, 2011