Five accused of sex crimes slain in Venezuela prisonJanuary 3rd, 2012 - 8:42 pm ICT by IANS
Caracas, Jan 3 (IANS/EFE) Five people accused of rape and other sexual offences against minors in Venezuela were murdered in their prison cells by other inmates, officials said.
Police in the western state of Tachira said those responsible for the killing were not identified.
Inside the prison, which holds about 2,000 inmates, attacks on prisoners accused of sexual crimes are relatively frequent, police said.
An independent organisation, the Venezuelan Prison Observatory, said that between Jan 1 and Oct 30, 2011, a total of 487 prisoners were murdered in the country’s 34 jails, compared to 476 inmates murdered during 2010.
Venezuela’s prison system has been hit by overcrowding. The 34 jails house 44,520 inmates, although they were built to hold only 14,500 people.
- Venezuela doesn't believe it needs more jails - Sep 28, 2011
- Prison official slain in Venezuela - Jul 07, 2012
- 25 killed in brawl at Venezuelan prison (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Venezuelan killed by stray shot from prison - May 10, 2012
- Venezuela prison brawl toll rises to 26 - Aug 24, 2012
- Eight killed in Venezuelan prison riot - May 05, 2010
- 4,000 Venezuelan prisoners on hunger strike - Sep 04, 2010
- 16 die in Venezuela prison violence - Oct 01, 2010
- Over 20 killed in Venezuela prison fight - Aug 21, 2012
- Three killed in Venezuela prison riot - Sep 28, 2010
- Venezuelan inmates hold 700 jail visitors hostage - Jan 08, 2012
- Venezuela nabs three for Mexican envoy's abduction - Feb 07, 2012
- Chavez vows to come back stronger after surgery - Feb 25, 2012
- Kin protest for better condition in Venezuelan jails - Jan 12, 2010
- Chile's prisons are like garbage cans: official - Dec 27, 2010