Fish could explain how we developed arms, legsAugust 8th, 2012 - 10:47 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 8 (IANS) The American paddlefish, one of the oldest fish on the planet, could explain why we developed our arms and legs, according to scientists.
Researchers have found that the fish duplicated its entire genome about 42 million years ago.
To study how human limbs develop, scientists compared the limb-building genes found in mice with fin-building genes in fishes, the Daily Mail reported Wednesday.
Previous research on paddlefish suggested that fishes possessed the genetic toolkit required to grow limbs long before the evolution of the four-limbed creatures (tetrapods) that developed into reptiles, birds, amphibians and mammals.
“We found that paddlefish have had their own genome duplication,” said Karen Crow, assistant professor of biology at San Francisco State University.
“This creates extra genetic material that adds complexity to comparative studies. It may change the way we interpret studies on limb development.”
- Gene loss could help explain evolution of limbs from fins - Jun 24, 2010
- Fish became land walkers 20 mln yrs earlier than previously thought - Jan 07, 2010
- Humans evolved from fish into two-legged species - Oct 07, 2011
- Ancient global warming turned earth an inferno - Nov 18, 2011
- Mexican salamander helps uncover evolution, genetics of stem cells - Jul 12, 2010
- Gene duplication gave humans powerful brain - May 04, 2012
- Genetic parasites changed pregnancy in mammals - Sep 27, 2011
- Frogs' faces give clues to special secret of their evolutionary success - Jan 14, 2011
- Fossil footprints stretch history of our ancestors - Jan 09, 2010
- Gene linked with vitamin B12 deficiency found - Aug 27, 2012
- Research suggests humans evolved from prehistoric sharks - Jun 14, 2012
- Study on frogs and fish sheds light on human hearing - Mar 20, 2011
- Study finds gene mutation strongly linked to schizophrenia - Feb 03, 2011
- Scientists fear mass extinction has begun - Oct 27, 2010
- Gene that helps fish 'disappear' discovered - Oct 30, 2010
Tags: amphibians, arms and legs, assistant professor, comparative studies, complexity, daily mail, fishes, genes, genetic material, genome duplication, human limbs, karen crow, limb development, mammals, mice, million years, paddlefish, previous research, san francisco state university, toolkit