First woman in space turns 75March 6th, 2012 - 11:28 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, March 6 (IANS) Valentina Tereshkova who became the world’s first woman to go into space after her flight in June 1963 turned 75 Tuesday.
Tereshkova told Xinhua on the eve of the International Women’s Day that the job of being a cosmonaut “remains a sort of a disease, once sicken of, will last for a whole life”.
In June 1963, then 26-year-old, Tereshkova, code-named Chaika (Seagull), went into space onboard the spaceship Vostok VI. But her success came with no ease at all.
“It was after Yuri Gagarin’s space flight that I wanted to become a cosmonaut. I think in our country there was no girl or boy who would not like to repeat Gagarin’s heroic deed,” she recalled.
Tereshkova’s ambition coincided with the Soviet space authorities’ idea of sending a female into space. In October 1961, announcements were made to recruit five women for the new space plans.
During the final selection, Tereshkova, along with other candidates, underwent the complete course of cosmonaut training, including weightless flights, parachute jumps, isolation tests, and centrifuge tests.
Tereshkova’s flight on the Vostok-6 spaceship lasted for three days, or 48 circuits.
- Russia launches cosmonaut recruitment drive - Jan 27, 2012
- Russia may send woman to ISS - Dec 08, 2011
- Sotheby's sells pre-Gagarin spacecraft for $2.8 million - Apr 13, 2011
- Yuri Gagarin's historic space flight recreated in movie - Mar 24, 2011
- Gagarin event ends with fireworks display in Moscow - Apr 13, 2011
- Queen guitarist dedicates song to Gagarin - Apr 12, 2011
- Russian cosmonaut to speak on 50 years of human space flight - Jun 03, 2011
- Russia launches manned spacecraft - Apr 05, 2011
- Soviet space capsule sells for $2.9 mn - Apr 13, 2011
- 'Soviet officials lied about Yuri Gagarin's historic space mission in bid for world record title' - Mar 31, 2011
- Gagarin's daughter wants to register his trademark - Feb 01, 2011
- Gagarin statue unveiled in London - Jul 14, 2011
- Soviet Union lied about Gagarin space mission: Book - Apr 01, 2011
- UN declares April 12 as International Day of Space Flight - Apr 08, 2011
- UN celebrates World Space Week - Oct 08, 2011
Tags: centrifuge tests, cosmonaut, final selection, first woman in space, five women, heroic deed, international women, isolation tests, parachute jumps, soviet space, space authorities, space flight, space plans, spaceship, valentina tereshkova, vostok 6, weightless flights, woman in space, xinhua, yuri gagarin