First run of Olympic torch in mainland China concludes (Lead)May 4th, 2008 - 7:13 pm ICT by admin
Sanya (China), May 4 (Xinhua) The first relay run of the Olympic torch in mainland China concluded in this southern town at the scenic spot of Tianya Haijiao Sunday. During the torch relay, tens of thousands of people lined the route, chanting in support of the Beijing Olympic Games.
Pop star Jackie Chan and Pu Huifang, head of the town, who ran as the last torch bearers, kindled the cauldron at 5:56 p.m., amidst loud cheers and applause from the spectators.
The relay started from the Phoenix Island, passing the Crown of Beauty Center, Haiyue Square of Sanya Gulf and Haihong Square.
China’s short track speed skating Olympic champion Yang Yang was the first torchbearer.
“I felt both excited and nervous to be the first torchbearer in the Chinese mainland,” said Yang, the first Chinese gold medallist in the Winter Olympic Games.
Yang won two gold medals in the women’s 500 metres and 1,000m short track speed skating at the Salt Lake City Winter Olympic Games in 2002 to end China’s gold drought at the winter Olympics.
She has collected a total of 59 world titles in her career in the World Championships and World Cups before her retirement at the age of 30 in August 2006.
A total of 208 torch bearers took part in the 30-km relay.
The flame will go to Wuzhishan city Monday, and arrive in Haikou, the capital city of the southern province of Hainan Tuesday.
- Olympic torch relay kicks off in mainland China - May 04, 2008
- Olympic torch relay begins in China - May 04, 2008
- First torchbearer for Olympic torch relay announced - May 11, 2012
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- 2012 Olympic torch lit in Ancient Olympia - May 10, 2012
- Ethnic people welcome Olympic torch relay in south China - May 06, 2008
- London 2012 organisers to auction Olympic torches - Jun 21, 2012
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Sochi Olympics torch relay to be longest one - Aug 13, 2012
- Russia plans to send Olympic torch into space - Jul 08, 2011
- British athletes' fathers feature as torch bearers - Jan 11, 2012
- 2012 London Olympics torch relay to pass through 1,000 places - Nov 07, 2011
- England football legend Jack Charlton to run Olympic torch relay - Jun 15, 2012
- Olympic Flame reaches Acropolis for handover ceremony - May 17, 2012
- Olympic Torch sold for over £150,000 on the auction site eBay - May 22, 2012
Tags: chinese mainland, gold medallist, gold medals, haihong, loud cheers, mainland china, olympic champion, olympic games, olympic torch, passing the crown, phoenix island, sanya china, short track speed skating, star jackie chan, tianya haijiao, torch relay, torchbearer, track speed, winter olympic games, winter olympics