First Qantas A380 flight takes off since engine explosion incidentNovember 27th, 2010 - 4:32 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Nov 27 (ANI): The first Qantas A380 passenger flight has taken off from Sydney Airport after it suffered a setback following a midair engine explosion earlier this month on one of the aircraft in its fleet triggered a global safety review.
Qantas’s six A380s have been grounded for more than three weeks following the incident.
News.com.au quoted Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce, who was on board today’s flight to London via Singapore, as saying that all safety checks had been completed.
“It’s great that we can reintroduce the aircraft. We are 100 per cent comfortable with the operation of the aircraft,” Joyce said at Sydney Airport before boarding the plane.
Meanwhile some passengers of the flight also expressed confidence in the company saying that Qantas must have “double-checked” before deciding to start its service again.
“They’ve got a good safety record anyway, but I think particularly with the first flight since the incident, I’m sure that all the safety protocols would have been double-checked,” a passenger said.
Earlier this month, the engine of the A380 had dramatically exploded mid-air over the Indonesian island of Batam, near Singapore, and had to return to Singapore’s Changi Airport. Qantas Airways had grounded its entire Airbus A380 fleet following its emergency landing. (ANI)
- Qantas grounds entire A380 fleet after Singapore emergency landing - Nov 04, 2010
- Another Qantas plane grounded in Australia following engine failure - Nov 28, 2010
- Potential manufacturing defect blamed for Qantas' A380 Rolls Royce engines' blasts - Dec 02, 2010
- Rolls-Royce engine worries continue for Qantas' A380 fleet - Dec 09, 2010
- Now, Qantas 747 forced to return back to Sydney following electrical system problem - Nov 15, 2010
- Qantas A380 flight pilots faced 'unprecedented' failures before emergency landing - Nov 19, 2010
- Qantas Airways' engine crisis continues - Nov 13, 2010
- Qantas A380 flight passengers 'very very lucky' plane didn't explode: Expert - Nov 19, 2010
- Qantas CEO blames 'engine material failure' for mid-air explosion on A380 engine - Nov 05, 2010
- Damaged Qantas superjumbo QF32 likened to wrecked WW II bomber Memphis Belle - Nov 12, 2010
- After all clear, Qantas to resume A380 flights to US - Jan 12, 2011
- Qantas to resume some Airbus A380 flights from Saturday following engine scares - Nov 23, 2010
- Qantas A380 Flight Service Returns To Normalcy - Nov 27, 2010
- Qantas plane forced to return after bird strike - Nov 17, 2010
- Qantas' woes continue, jet returns to Sydney - Nov 15, 2010
Tags: airbus a380, alan joyce, batam, changi airport, emergency landing, engine explosion, first flight, global safety, incident news, indonesian island, mid air, midair, passenger flight, qantas airways, safety checks, safety protocols, safety record, setback, sydney airport, sydney nov