First new steam engine in 50 years to take to the tracksApril 6th, 2008 - 5:22 pm ICT by admin
London, Apr 6 (ANI): The first steam engine to be built in Britain for more than half a century is about to take to the tracks.
A replica of the last steam locomotive on the East Coast Main Line, between London and Scotland, the 60163 Tornado, will be fired up in the next few weeks and taken on the first of a series of test runs before making its commercial debut in the autumn.
Producing 2,500hp, the engine will be capable of up to 60mph. However, its first outing will be a few yards from inside the shed where it is being assembled, at the Darlington Locomotive Works.
The 3 million pounds project, built to plans for the A1 class, drawn up after the Second World War by Arthur Peppercorn, of the London & North Eastern Railway, is the fruit of 18 years of fund-raising and craftsmanship.
Mark Allatt, chairman of The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust, said that the locomotive would be fitted with additional water capacity and the latest safety electronics.
“Tornado will be fully equipped for today’s main line railway,” the Telegraph quoted him, as saying. (ANI)
- Indian Railways to get its most powerful diesel locomotive - Sep 26, 2011
- China rolls out powerful locomotive - Mar 08, 2012
- Trivedi proposes new projects for home state, constituency - Mar 14, 2012
- Century old steam engine re-runs on Neral-Matheran track - May 23, 2009
- China builds museum on industry before 1940s - Jan 12, 2011
- 2000-yr-old computer recreated using Lego bricks! - Dec 10, 2010
- Chinese locomotives chug into trouble in Pakistan - Jun 06, 2012
- Mamata waves as steam engine chugs through Rajpath - Jan 26, 2010
- A battery-powered car that can speed up to 155mph, travel 186 miles! - Mar 25, 2011
- Vintage Model T Ford car modified to travel on railway line in England - Dec 30, 2008
- 300 of Pakistan's 500 locomotives out of order - Oct 11, 2011
- Pakistan to lease 50 rail engines from India - Sep 25, 2011
- Over a third of Pakistani locomotives don't work - Oct 29, 2010
- Journey of Indian railways depicted through stamps - Nov 06, 2009
- JCB launches new 16-valve diesel engine - Mar 29, 2011