First jail term for sex with underage prostitute cut on appealFebruary 20th, 2009 - 4:43 pm ICT by IANS
Singapore, Feb 20 (DPA) The first man in Singapore to be sentenced for having sex with an underage prostitute under a tougher law had his one-year jail term reduced Friday to nine months on appeal, media reports said.
In December, a district court had initially sentenced the 55-year-old man to one year in jail for having sex with a 16-year-old prostitute.
The contractor, Tan Chye Hin, a father of three children, was the first man in the city state to be dealt with under a new law the Singapore government put in place in February last year to crack down on underage prostitution.
The tougher law carries a maximum jail sentence of seven years and a fine for paying for sex with someone below the age of 18, the legal age of consent for commercial sex.
On Friday, a Justice at Singapore High Court allowed the appeal of the contractor against his initial sentence, the online edition of the Straits Times newspaper reported.
The defendant had argued that it was only fair that he gets a shorter jail term than the pimp who arranged the hook-up for him. The pimp was jailed for one year.
The justice also took into account that the contractor’s crime was a new offence and that greater publicity could have prevented him from committing it.
- My bungas were just clean fun: Berlusconi - Apr 21, 2012
- British woman jailed for prostituting teenaged girl - Aug 02, 2012
- Supreme Court decries abuse of court process by criminals - Apr 01, 2012
- 'Berlusconi had sex with underage Moroccan 13 times' - Mar 16, 2011
- French footie stars Ribery, Benzema questioned in under-age sex inquiry - Jul 20, 2010
- Prosecutors to request Berlusconi trial over 'Rubygate' - Feb 09, 2011
- French minister seeks end of prostitution in Europe - Jun 23, 2012
- Belly dancer at centre of Berlusconi sex probe 'was 16 when she was paid for sex' - Mar 16, 2011
- Teen sues Village Voice Media for abetting sex trafficking - Sep 22, 2010
- Australian ex-MP escapes jail over child sex - Nov 29, 2011
- Rape victim's mother released from Chinese labour camp - Aug 10, 2012
- More than 400 Afghan women jailed for 'moral crimes' - Mar 29, 2012
- British teacher jailed for sex with underage student - Jun 19, 2012
- Families remember Uphaar fire victims - Jun 13, 2012
- Underage girl forces classmates into prostitution in China - Dec 07, 2011
Tags: age of consent, commercial sex, defendant, first man, having sex, jail sentence, jail term, legal age of consent, man in the city, nine months, offence, paying for sex, pimp, prostitute, prostitution, publicity, seven years, singapore government, singapore high court, straits times