First ever meteorite auction held in New YorkNovember 14th, 2007 - 3:02 am ICT by admin
“The results were stronger than anticipated with a near-perfect result,” the BBC quoted Bonhams meteorite specialist Claudia Florian as saying after the sale.
She also said that Bonhams hoped to sell the unsold lots “in the next several days”.
Some of the 54 lots of “fine meteorites” sold at the auction house fell to Earth thousands of years ago, and only one out of them is documented as having made a fatal impact.
It is said that the Valera Meteorite, which hit a field in Venezuela in 1972, killed a cow.
“It’s very rare to have a meteorite actually impact a living being… so now that particular meteorite is considered to be collectible,” Florian told the BBC’s Radio Five Live before the sale.
She also revealed that this piece was sold for 1,300 dollars.
With a price estimate of 1.1m dollars, the piece de resistance for the sale appeared to be the “Crown Section” of America’s famous Willamette Meteorite, discovered in Oregon in 1902. It, however, did not sell. (ANI)
- Eric Clapton raised more than $1.7m after auctioning off instruments - Mar 10, 2011
- Eric Clapton to sell part of his guitar collection for Crossroads Centre - Dec 10, 2010
- Spider-Man's comic debut sells for $1.1M - Mar 09, 2011
- Canvas with just a date up for 60,000 pounds - Sep 30, 2011
- US gallery pays $4.6 mn at auction for Velazquez piece - Dec 08, 2011
- Spitting Image puppets of Lady Thatcher and her Cabinet up for grabs - Dec 03, 2010
- John Wayne's 'El Dorado' wig up for grabs - Dec 02, 2010
- Little Chinese bowl fetches $2.5 mn! - Jun 09, 2012
- Coal piece from Titanic auctioned - Jan 29, 2012
- Bought for 60 pounds, car now to fetch 500,000 pounds - Jul 02, 2011
- Explorer David Livingstone's letter reveals he ate elephant - Mar 31, 2011
- Marylin Monroe-JFK picture to go under the hammer - Nov 12, 2010
- Moss nude portrait sells for 16,250 pounds - Nov 20, 2011
- Original score from Alfred Hitchcock's 'Psycho' on sale for $75K - Mar 14, 2011
- Best's European Cup medal fetches 156,000 pounds at UK auction - Oct 21, 2010
Tags: 1m, 300, auction house, bbc, bonhams, claudia, earth thousands, fatal impact, fell to earth, florian, iron meteorite, meteorites, piece de resistance, price estimate, radio five live, siberia, us mailbox, valera, willamette meteorite