Fireworks blast kills 12 in Central ChinaDecember 20th, 2010 - 12:46 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, Dec 20 (ANI): At least 12 people have reportedly been killed in a fireworks blast in Central China’s Hunan province.
Earlier local authorities had announced that nine people were killed in the blast, but later the toll rose to 12, and three of the 12 victims were yet be identified till reports last came in.
Xinhua quoted police as saying that another two people went missing after the incident.
The blast, which also injured nine others, occurred in Ningxiang county of Changsha, the provincial capital, at about 9:30 pm on Friday when a truck loaded with fireworks fuses hit a power pole and sparks from fallen cables ignited the fuses.
According to a local government spokesman, the nine injured are being treated in hospital, and are in stable conditions. They also said that rescue operations and clean-up at the site ended on Sunday.
The blast has reportedly destroyed the truck and nearby houses, shattering windows and cracking walls hundreds of meters away. (ANI)
- Fireworks blast kills at least 12 in central China - Dec 20, 2010
- Six die in China firecracker blast - Dec 18, 2010
- Chinese bomber to be executed for deadly blast - Dec 29, 2011
- 10 killed as tourist bus overturns in China - Oct 16, 2011
- Explosives-laden truck explodes at Chinese cement factory, 9 dead - Aug 28, 2012
- 100-vehicle pile-up in China leaves seven dead (Lead) - Dec 27, 2010
- 13 killed in China road accident - Jan 03, 2012
- China-made fireworks to light up London Olympics - Jul 27, 2012
- Nine killed in China bus accident - Oct 21, 2010
- Blast at southwest China fireworks factory kills at least six - Aug 22, 2010
- 19 injured in Afghan mosque blast - Aug 03, 2012
- Four policemen killed in Pakistan - Jun 09, 2012
- Twenty dead, more than 150 injured after fireworks factory explodes in northeast China - Aug 17, 2010
- Seven killed in China building blaze - Dec 23, 2009
- 15 killed in Iran's military base explosions - Nov 12, 2011
Tags: cables, central china, china beijing, cracking walls, fireworks, fuses, government spokesman, local authorities, local government, nearby houses, provincial capital, rescue operations, stable conditions, xinhua