Fire in Islamabad’s Marriott Hotel, nine injured (Lead)February 26th, 2009 - 6:43 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 26 (IANS) A major fire broke out in Islamabad’s Marriott Hotel Thursday afternoon, five months after a devastating suicide attack on Sep 20 last year killed over 50 people and injured 250.
At least nine people were injured in the fire and the hotel was evacuated.
Thick smoke billowed out of the windows of the hotel, one of the two five-star hotels in the Pakistani capital.
According to Geo TV, the fire broke out in two unopened floors of the hotel, on the foothills of the Margalla range.
Firefighters were quoted as saying that they feared the hotel, which reopened partially in December after the terror attack, might collapse if the fire was not brought under control soon.
A boiler blast could be the reason behind the blaze, reports said.
Eyewitnesses said explosions were heard before the fire broke out in the hotel.
- Fire in Islamabad's Marriott Hotel - Feb 26, 2009
- Fire at Islamabad's Marriott Hotel injures nine, causes panic (Second Lead) - Feb 26, 2009
- Six persons injured in Marriot fire - Feb 26, 2009
- Korean ship catches fire, one injured - Mar 17, 2012
- Two firemen killed in US blaze - Apr 10, 2012
- Sharjah skyscraper catches fire - Apr 28, 2012
- Soldier dies in Pakistan ammunition depot blasts (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Two killed, 16 injured in Mantralaya fire (Intro Night Lead) (With images) - Jun 22, 2012
- Two killed in factory fire in Andhra Pradesh - Aug 15, 2012
- 16 injured in Mantralaya fire, blaze under control (Night Lead) (With images) - Jun 21, 2012
- Cat hailed a hero after saving house from fire by opening window - Dec 14, 2010
- Hundreds battle forest fire in China - Jan 28, 2012
- Massive fire at Maharashtra Mantralaya - Jun 21, 2012
- New Year fireworks set off 5,945 blazes in China - Feb 07, 2011
- Dozens trapped in burning Mantralaya, navy called (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
Tags: blaze, boiler, explosions, eyewitnesses, firefighters, five months, five star hotels, geo tv, hotel one, islamabad, marriott, marriott hotel, pakistani capital, suicide attack, terror attack, thick smoke, thursday afternoon