Fiorentina edge Genoa after Juventus draw at SampdoriaSeptember 28th, 2008 - 2:37 pm ICT by IANS
Milan, Sep 28 (DPA) Fiorentina edged Genoa 1-0 as striker Alberto Gilardino scored a great second-half goal to push the Florence side on to seven points from their five Serie A football games.In a previous game Saturday, Sampdoria and Juventus played out a dull scoreless draw as they opened the weekend in Genoa.
Juve advanced on to nine points, drawing level in second position with Lazio and Napoli. Sampdoria lie low in the standings on four points, while Genoa lead them on six. Inter Milan lead the table with 10 points.
Fiorentina in the first half held the upper hand only on ball possession against a Genoa side that played a carefully defensive game.
The hosts’ Romanian striker Adrian Mutu tried an unsuccessful header early in the game before his team mate Riccardo Montolivo had a fast but central drive saved on 18 minutes.
Genoa improved their attack schemes after the break bringing on Argentinian Diego Milito, who in the 54th minute enlivened the game with a nasty shot bravely saved by Frenchman Sebastien Frey.
Two minutes later, it was Rubens Rubinho’s turn to save Genoa deflecting an angled shot from defender Marco Donadel.
The Brazilian goalkeeper was beaten in the 61st minute as Gilardino controlled a lose ball off a corner kick to stun him with an angled shot by the far post.
Giampaolo Pazzini, who came on for a mildly injured Gila, forced a good save on 83 minutes with a nasty low shot after a classy ball control.
Earlier in Genoa, Juventus were the first to threaten despite Sampdoria’s midfield dominance and came close on four minutes as Dane Christian Poulsen fired a high drive from inside the area.
Captain Alessandro Del Piero came even closer on 20 minutes with his low drive bouncing off the far post, and aimed high from close range at the end of a fairly dull first half.
Austria’s goalkeeper Alex Manninger made a crucial save for Juventus as substitute Daniele Dessena fired home off a throw-in in injury time.
- AC Milan still winless in Serie A - Sep 22, 2011
- Inter Milan widen lead through win over Cagliari - Feb 08, 2010
- Roma, AC Milan close in on leaders Inter Milan - Feb 22, 2010
- Inter Milan beat Catania to retain Serie A lead - Oct 25, 2009
- Lippi's list of 23 Azzurri ready for World Cup - Jun 02, 2010
- Juventus beat Inter Milan in Serie A - Mar 26, 2012
- Juventus ahead in Italian league title race - Apr 23, 2012
- Inter Milan held to draw by gritty Napoli - Feb 15, 2010
- Inter beat AC Milan in Serie A derby - Jan 16, 2012
- AC Milan only chasers of Inter Milan after win at Juventus - Jan 11, 2010
- Nine men enough for Inter Milan to dominate city derby - Jan 25, 2010
- Camoranesi strikes a brace as Juventus hammer Atalanta - Nov 08, 2009
- Inter Milan go top through hammering of Genoa - Oct 18, 2009
- Roma draw level with AC Milan in second place - Feb 01, 2010
- Juventus, AC Milan keep pace with leaders Inter Milan - Dec 08, 2008