Fiorentina edge 10-man Palermo in Serie AApril 20th, 2008 - 3:12 pm ICT by admin
Milan, April 20 (DPA) Fiorentina secured a 1-0 win in a pulsating home game with 10-man guests Palermo to improve their fourth place in the Italian Serie A. Palermo had an early chance Saturday through a wide drive from Fabio Caserta, which Fiorentina’s Giampaolo Pazzini quickly countered with another near miss.
Zdravko Kuzmanovic also came close for the hosts when Palermo goalkeeper Federico Agliardi blocked his low drive with a foot.
Two good headers went begging as Palermo’s Amauri had a downward effort saved, while Adrian Mutu sent the ball against the post.
The Romanian striker assisted Pazzini in a hammering attack that on 29 minutes led to Fiorentina’s only goal through a low firm shot that Marco Donadel drilled by the closest post to stun the diving Agliardi.
The Sicily guests brought on their fast striker Fabrizio Miccoli during the second half and came close when Serbian midfielder Bosko Jankovic forced a great save from Sebastien Frey on 61 minutes.
The 72nd minute dismissal of defender Leandro Rinaudo made things hard for Palermo, who however took control of the game and had their best chance four minutes later.
Frey managed to slap away a nasty shot from Miccoli and found help from the woodwork on the following effort from Mark Bresciano.
Fiorentina clinched a valuable win that keeps them in the upper tiers of the Serie A while being the only Italian side left in European competition. They are away to Rangers Thursday in Glasgow for the first leg of the UEFA Cup semi-finals.
In the home league, they have now a seven-point lead over AC Milan and Sampdoria, both lying fifth and struggling to secure one of four available Champions League berths.
Milan, who won the continental trophy last year, host bottom side Reggina Sunday, when Samp welcome sixth-placed Udinese.
The title race is reserved for Inter Milan and second-place Roma, who earlier Saturday were held to a disappointing 1-1 home draw against joint-last Livorno.
With five games left to play, Inter can stretch their lead to six points if they win a late Sunday game at lowly Torino.
- Milan lose to Lazio while Inter draw with Palermo - Feb 02, 2012
- Inter win, Klose salvages Lazio in Serie A - Dec 11, 2011
- Inter Milan remain clear at top as Sampdoria draw at Lazio - Oct 19, 2009
- Inter beat AC Milan in Serie A derby - Jan 16, 2012
- Juventus crash at Palermo, lose chance to go top - Oct 05, 2009
- AC Milan routs Chievo 4-0 as Inter teeters to last-minute win - Nov 28, 2011
- Milan beat Roma to extend lead - Mar 25, 2012
- Inter Milan drop to second after loss at Sampdoria - Sep 27, 2009
- Juventus surpass Milan to top Serie A - Apr 08, 2012
- Sampdoria set to retain lead as giants dither - Oct 01, 2009
- Juventus ahead in Italian league title race - Apr 23, 2012
- Inter upset by Lecce as Milan win to chase Juventus - Jan 30, 2012
- Inter Milan beat Catania to retain Serie A lead - Oct 25, 2009
- Juventus beat Inter Milan in Serie A - Mar 26, 2012
- Pazzini's hat-trick helps Milan beat Bologna - Sep 02, 2012
Tags: ac milan, adrian mutu, amauri, berths, bottom side, caserta, giampaolo pazzini, home game, inter milan, italian serie, italian side, mark bresciano, miccoli, sampdoria, sebastien frey, semi finals, seven point, uefa cup, upper tiers, zdravko kuzmanovic