Finland’s largest ever data leak uncoveredNovember 8th, 2011 - 1:36 pm ICT by IANS
Helsinki, Nov 8 (IANS) A data leak has been uncovered in Finland, in which personal details of around 16,000 people were uploaded onto a file-sharing website, according to Finnish media reports.
This act is the largest ever of its kind in Finland. The data leak is being looked into by the Finnish National Bureau of Investigation.
Anonymous Finland Monday claimed responsibility for the publication of personal details of thousands of Finns. The group temporarily published a sample of information on 16,000 people as proof of the hack that was motivated by an apparent desire to shame the Finnish government into improving data security, reported Xinhua.
Finnish National Bureau of Investigation has not confirmed the claims that a loose group of hackers known as Anonymous was behind the data leak.
The list that was put on the Internet contains the names, full social security numbers, addresses, telephone numbers, street addresses, and email addresses of the victims.
Some civil servants and students of the Police College of Finland are mentioned by name.
Finnish police have confirmed that the names of some Finnish Defense Forces staff are on the list. The military said the leak did not pose a security threat.
- Hackers claim hacking of FBI laptop, post 1 million Apple device IDs - Sep 05, 2012
- Finland embassy staff leaves Syria - Mar 20, 2012
- Hackers claim to have 12 mn Apple device IDs - Sep 05, 2012
- Hackers claim to have defaced 500 Chinese websites - Apr 06, 2012
- Finland better off within Eurozone: Finnish PM - Jul 16, 2012
- Twitter accounts hacked, flooded with spam - Dec 14, 2010
- UK Royal Navy left 'red faced' after website infiltrated by Romanian hacker - Nov 09, 2010
- Porn website hacked, 72,000 usernames stolen - Mar 14, 2012
- Sony says another 25m Playstation users may have been hacked - May 03, 2011
- Whiff of curry wafts over Helsinki with 30 Indian restaurants - Sep 25, 2011
- WikiLeaks publishes 5 mn emails from thinktank Stratfor - Feb 27, 2012
- Indian home ministry computers under virus attack - Aug 16, 2010
- Hackers attack Apple's website, claim they stole passwords - Jul 05, 2011
- Andhra government websites hacked - Feb 16, 2012
- 90,000 email addresses hacked from US military contractor - Jul 12, 2011
Tags: apparent desire, civil servants, data security, email addresses, finnish defense forces, finnish government, finnish media, finnish police, finns, hack, hackers, helsinki, loose group, national bureau of investigation, police college, security threat, social security numbers, street addresses, telephone numbers, xinhua