Fiji police chief calls Indian officers backstabbers and liars in latest racist rantFebruary 18th, 2009 - 3:30 pm ICT by ANI
Wellington, Feb 18 (ANI): Commodore Esala Teleni, the Police Commissioner of Fiji, has told Fijian-Indian police officers to get out of the force if they cant be loyal to him.
One of Fiji’’s top coup plotters, Police Commissioner Esala Teleni, has launched an attack on Indians in his force, calling them backstabbers and liars.
And he says any of them who oppose his Christian mission will be booted out of the force, Stuff.co.nz reported.
No one is going to deter me and my Jesus, he told police in Suva. The outburst, from a close ally of military supremo Voreqe Bainimarama, is certain to cause alarm as it goes to the heart of Fijis divisive racial politics.
Bainimarama staged his December 2006 coup claiming he wanted to end racism in the country of 900,000, of whom around 35 per cent were ethnic Indians.
He also kicked out an Australian who headed the police and installed Teleni, then head of the Navy Division of the Fiji Military Forces, as commissioner.
Fiji TV said Teleni called a meeting of senior Indian police officers, where he told them to get out of the force if they can”t be loyal to him.
Teleni recently launched a high profile Christian police crusade and at the meeting he says he never forced the Indian police to join it, only he encouraged them.
Most Fiji Indians are either Hindu or Muslim.
Teleni said he will remove Indians. I have a list of people; Im going to start terminating their services. I am not hesitant to do that. (ANI)
- Ex-Fiji PM Mahendra Chaudhry arrested by military regime - Oct 03, 2010
- Fiji military chief says he might delay promised elections - Jul 13, 2010
- Pacific tit-for-tat on cards after Fiji expels diplomats - Nov 04, 2009
- Fiji expels diplomats from New Zealand, Australia - Nov 03, 2009
- Fiji courts China to Indian community's dismay (Comment) - Aug 15, 2010
- Former Fiji premier faces corruption trial - Jan 15, 2010
- Former Fiji PM Chaudhry questioned for tax evasion - Jul 23, 2010
- New Zealand threatened Fiji's military chief with 'loss of family access' over coup - Dec 25, 2010
- Eight sentenced to prison terms for plotting to kill Fiji PM - Mar 05, 2010
- Fiji pulls out of regional trade talks - Aug 10, 2009
- Military government tightens control in Fiji (Lead) - Apr 14, 2009
- Indian population rapidly declining in Fiji - Mar 10, 2009
- Fiji strongman gets honour for service to humanity - Apr 24, 2009
- Dictator Bainimarama says Australia once threatened to invade Fiji - May 01, 2009
- Fiji regime extends emergency powers till end of the year - Jul 02, 2009
Tags: ally, backstabbers, christian police, commodore, coup plotters, crusade, fiji indians, fiji military forces, fiji tv, hindu, indian police, liars, outburst, police chief, police commissioner, police officers, racial politics, racism, stuff co nz, voreqe bainimarama