Fiji military strongman tightens grip, boycotts regional summitAugust 18th, 2008 - 1:34 pm ICT by IANS
Wellington, Aug 18 (DPA) Fiji’s military strongman, Voreqe Bainimarama, tightened his grip on the South Pacific island state Monday and announced he would boycott a regional summit where he was expected to defend his refusal to hold fresh elections next year. Bainimarama, who made himself prime minister after ousting the elected government in a bloodless coup in Dec 2006, told reporters he was taking over the post of finance minister and responsibility for national planning, the independent Fijilive website reported.
He also said he would not attend a summit of the 16-member Pacific Islands Forum in Niue this week, where he was expected to explain why he was reneging on a promise he gave his fellow leaders last year to restore democracy with new elections by next March.
New Zealand officials said last week that they would lift travel sanctions imposed on Bainimarama after his coup to allow him to transit through Auckland to attend the summit. Auckland International Airport has the only direct air link with tiny Niue, a self-governing region of New Zealand.
At last year’s forum summit in Tonga, Bainimarama pledged to hold elections in the first quarter of 2009 and to accept the outcome.
He has said since that he cannot hold a new poll in that time frame, but a delegation of forum foreign ministers who went to Fiji last month said “lack of political will” was the only obstacle.
Mahendra Chaudhry - leader of the Fiji Labour Party, who was minister of finance - announced his sudden resignation Sunday along with two party colleagues in the government.
Chaudhry said they were stepping aside to concentrate on the next election, but some reports have suggested that Bainimarama forced him to resign.
- India forges diplomatic ties with 'Wi-Fi nation' - Sep 04, 2012
- Fiji military chief says he might delay promised elections - Jul 13, 2010
- New Zealand threatened Fiji's military chief with 'loss of family access' over coup - Dec 25, 2010
- Fiji pulls out of regional trade talks - Aug 10, 2009
- Ex-Fiji PM Mahendra Chaudhry arrested by military regime - Oct 03, 2010
- Fiji strongman gets honour for service to humanity - Apr 24, 2009
- UN support: India to seek Pacific island nations' support - Aug 28, 2012
- Pacific tit-for-tat on cards after Fiji expels diplomats - Nov 04, 2009
- Fiji's neighbours disagree on how to deal with its military regime - May 19, 2009
- Fiji courts China to Indian community's dismay (Comment) - Aug 15, 2010
- New Zealand lifts ban on Fiji strongman Bainimarama - Aug 13, 2008
- Military coup was illegal, rules Fiji court - Apr 09, 2009
- Pacific leaders give Fiji election ultimatum - Aug 21, 2008
- Former Fiji premier faces corruption trial - Jan 15, 2010
- Military government tightens control in Fiji (Lead) - Apr 14, 2009