Fight against Somali pirates now a private battleSeptember 12th, 2012 - 9:21 pm ICT by IANS
Canberra, Sep 12 (IANS) The fight against Somali pirates in the Indian Ocean has now become a private battle using private security companies, an Australian study said Wednesday.
The research titled “Pirates and Privateers: Managing the Indian Ocean’s Private Security Boom” by the Lowy Institute, an international policy think tank, sheds new light on the serious problem, Xinhua reported.
The study talks about new problems that have cropped up with the rapid increase in private security companies protecting commercial ships on the Indian Ocean.
“There is a legitimate role for private companies in fighting piracy, possibly half of ships travelling the Indian Ocean are employing them. But private naval fleets are operating in a legal vacuum,” said author James Brown, military fellow at the Lowy Institute.
Brown also warns about the possibility of international disputes.
“By ceding some authority for military personnel to shipping companies, national militaries risk becoming embroiled in disputes beyond their control. This has the potential to do serious damage to national reputation and cause serious diplomatic incidents,” he wrote.
In February, two Italian marines shot and killed two Indian fishermen after thinking they were being attacked by pirates. They remain in Indian custody awaiting trial for murder.
- Somali leader backs Indian action against pirates (Lead) - May 16, 2012
- Growing piracy close to India raises concern - Apr 21, 2012
- Kenya affected by Somalian piracy, wants Indian cooperation - May 13, 2011
- Antony rules out military action to free Indian sailors (Lead) - Mar 03, 2011
- Larger deployment of forces will prevent pirate attacks: Navy Chief - Jan 31, 2011
- India proposes norms for Indian Ocean anti-piracy patrols - Apr 13, 2012
- South Asian nations seek total elimination of piracy - Nov 18, 2011
- UNSC discusses piracy in Gulf of Guinea - Oct 20, 2011
- Somali pirates links with terror groups being interrogated - Jan 31, 2011
- UN chief appalled by Somali pirates' killing of Americans - Feb 23, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,