Fidel Castro unlikely to take part in a public event again: ChavezJanuary 12th, 2009 - 6:39 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 12 (ANI): Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has said it is unlikely that former Cuban President Fidel Castro would take part in a public event ever again, but that the revolutionary idol would live on beyond this physical life.
We already know the Fidel that walked the streets and towns at night, looking like a warrior in his uniform, hugging the people, will never be seen again. He will become a memory, Mr Chavez said on his weekly Alo Presidente radio talk show.
He has often visited Fidel, 82, where he is receiving medical attention since undergoing gastrointestinal surgery in July 2006.
Castro has not been seen in public since handing over power to his brother Raul that same month, The Telegraph reported.
Chavez recalled the last time he saw Castro in public, a few days before he was admitted to hospital in Cordoba, Argentina.
He escorted me to the aeroplane door. We hugged. How was I to know, my God, it would be the last time! But Fidel will live on, like he is alive now and will always live on beyond this physical life. And he must live on, he knows, for years to come. We still need you, the paper quoted Chavez, as saying.
The last snapshots of the ailing, reclusive father of the Cuban revolution were published in November, when he met in Cuba with presidents Dmitry Medvedev of Russia, and Hu Jintao of China. (ANI)
- Chavez heads back to Venezuela - Mar 17, 2012
- Castro not to make public appearance anymore: Chavez - Jan 12, 2009
- Fidel Castro meets cancer-stricken Hugo Chavez - Mar 03, 2012
- Chavez returns to Cuba for cancer treatment - Apr 09, 2012
- Chavez returns to Cuba for treatment - Jul 18, 2011
- Chavez in Cuba for another round of cancer treatment - Apr 16, 2012
- Chavez back in Cuba for more surgery - Feb 26, 2012
- Ailing Chavez returns to Venezuela - Jul 05, 2011
- Venezuela president goes for last chemotherapy session - Sep 18, 2011
- Venezuela's Chavez back in the public eye - May 24, 2012
- Cancer once made Chavez consider leaving politics - Sep 05, 2012
- Cuba asks officials to wear traditional shirts - Oct 13, 2010
- Chavez in good physical condition after operation: Venezuela - Feb 29, 2012
- Chavez attacks Hillary for 'threatening' Russia, China - Jul 10, 2012
- Fidel Castro turns 85 - Aug 14, 2011
Tags: alo presidente, brother raul, cordoba argentina, cuban president fidel, cuban president fidel castro, cuban revolution, dmitry medvedev, fidel castro, gastrointestinal, gastrointestinal surgery, hu jintao, hugo chavez, london jan, medical attention, mr chavez, president fidel castro, president hugo chavez, radio talk show, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez